When will the cpu stay at turbo boost mode?

GreatDessert

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
Hello everyone, I was wondering what makes the processor increase the frequency temporarily.

The processor claimed that could be set to 21x multiple ratio,. But when I go under the bios settings, I found the maximum value is 18x and I have tried to change everything about the cpu values, the processor still didn't go to the 21x even I gave it a heavy duty.

I heard someone said that CPU turbo boost will only function when the processor running at the half of cores. Is that true? Or can I just force it to stay at the peak without closing any cores? Because that is meaningless if that only work with a bare cores

Solution
Intel does not work by doing half the cores like amd and for you cpu:
2800 MHz (1 or 2 cores)
2667 MHz (3 or 4 cores)
2533 MHz (5 or 6 cores)

Changing multi is how it gets to the higher turbo speeds and if it's set to 18, then that is the highest it will go. That's how the other sockets are and I don't think they changed it. Does the mobo even have a turbo disable/enable option?

PytSkee

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
The Turbo Boost functionality is automatic. The clock speed won't go as high with all cores working, so if your controller determines that you need single-threaded performance, it will shut down cores on its own and boost the clock speed up as high as it goes. As far as I know, the max clock speeds aren't reached with multiple cores running due to thermal limits.

What cpu? It's a bit different for amd and intel. Is this a laptop? What's the model? Have you tried to stress test using different number of cores and see what speed it goes to? Don't look at task manager speed btw, that's not reliable. Use cpuz.

Turbo goes above nominal tdp and the only reason it's there to use the extra tdp when available. It's there to increase efficiency not really a performance boost. It's hardly going to affect performance because speeds usually aren't much higher.

GreatDessert

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

The processor is intel xeon e5645. And I am using cpuz all the time. Whatever it is benchmark or gaming, no magic.
The cpu has never reached the higher freq. than the default setting. Is that mean there have no way to deal with it?

GreatDessert

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016

If the reason is about the tdp, then how about if I use some softwares (if there any software is still able to do this) to decrease the tdp with reducing the voltage?

Intel does not work by doing half the cores like amd and for you cpu:
2800 MHz (1 or 2 cores)
2667 MHz (3 or 4 cores)
2533 MHz (5 or 6 cores)

Changing multi is how it gets to the higher turbo speeds and if it's set to 18, then that is the highest it will go. That's how the other sockets are and I don't think they changed it. Does the mobo even have a turbo disable/enable option?

Solution