Whenever I select "1920x1080 144hz" it's 960x1080 @144hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2018
I just got the ASUS MG248QR and after a while when I went to Nvidia Control Panel, and tried to create a custom resolution (1440x1080 for CS:GO) and It changed my native res. In the Control Panel it stated it was at 1920x1080 @144hz but when i press the button on my ASUS monitor is stated it was 960x1080 @144hz (Which it was). Whenever, I try to fix it, it never works and im forced to use 1920x1080 @60hz for it to look exactly like 1920x1080. I need help.

Solution
DVI-I dual link would have worked as well. It's the "dual link" part of the equation that allows for the higher refresh rate. HDMI and Display port can do it as well.

Deleting the custom resolution might be a start

Mar 25, 2018

Still won't let me go at 1920x1080 @144hz without it being 960x1080. Was working fine before now I dunno whats wrong.

Mar 25, 2018

Still doesnt resolve the issue

Mar 25, 2018

My graphics card is a GTX 970 and I'm using DVI Output. It was working fine earlier so it really confuses me why 1920x1080 144hz is displaying as 960x1080 144hz

Mar 25, 2018

Yeah, I did. I went poking around in other forums and noticed a guy with the same issue as me. Turns out I have a DVI-I Cable so I ordered a DVI-D Dual Link cable. His issue was resolved when he used the DVI-D cable and my friend also helped me with this as well. I already ordered one and it comes tomorrow, i'll let you know if this fixes it; I'm kinda confident it will.

If it worked before, as you said, then the cable should not be the problem. UNLESS, it did not work that way before, and you simply THOUGHT it had, in which case I'd have to agree that it is very unlikely to have worked with the DVI-I cable if it was not a dual link cable. It must be dual link, HDMI or Display port for 144hz refresh rate.

If we had known you had a single link DVI cable, the answer would have been easily recognized. Good luck.

Mar 25, 2018

Yup, it fixed the issue. Pretty much I had to get a DVI-D Dual Link Cable.

Actually it wouldn't have, because monitors generally only have DVI-D ports, which will block "DVI-I" cables (if such a thing existed) from being inserted. Fortunately DVI-I cables are practically non-existent for that exact reason, they would be incompatible with pretty much any monitor ever made, I think the OP probably meant he was using a Single-Link DVI cable instead of a Dual-Link cable, rather than using DVI-I instead of DVI-D. People get confused between the two pairs a lot.

Don't make assumptions you don't know are correct. OP said he had DVI-I single link cable. If he had a DVI-I cable and moved to DVI-D, the cable would still fit. If he had DVI-D cable and moved to dual link DVI-I, or any DVI-I, then it would not fit. There are plenty of systems out there, albeit mostly older, using DVI-I, and we have MANY members using older hardware, so don't assume you know anything. You COULD be right, but you could just as easily be 100% wrong.

Don't make assumptions you don't know are correct. OP said he had DVI-I single link cable. If he had a DVI-I cable and moved to DVI-D, the cable would still fit.
The new DVI-D cable would fit, but the original DVI-I cable would not have fit, and therefore he would not have been getting 960×1080 or any other resolution through it.

There are plenty of systems out there, albeit mostly older, using DVI-I
Graphics cards certainly, but not monitors. Monitors almost always use DVI-D. DVI-I is just a combo port used for saving space, it's generally only used on graphics cards, where space is limited. When monitors want VGA capability, they usually just put an actual VGA port. There are a few exceptions (some Eizo monitors), but they're very rare.

we have MANY members using older hardware, so don't assume you know anything.
I don't need to assume anything about his hardware, he told us in the first sentence he is using an MG248QR, which has a DVI-D port. DVI-I cables would not fit in that monitor, so that leads me to believe that he was mistaken when he said he was using a DVI-I cable previously. I have seen this mixup happen many times, it isn't that much of a stretch.

You COULD be right, but you could just as easily be 100% wrong.
Of course. That's why, even given the reasoning above, I said:

I think the OP probably meant he was using a Single-Link DVI cable instead of a Dual-Link cable, rather than using DVI-I instead of DVI-D. People get confused between the two pairs a lot.

Given that "DVI-I cables" are practically nonexistent (for this exact reason), I'd be very surprised if he had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.