[SOLVED] Whenever I try to create a USB storage Windows installation using Media Creation Tool my PC crashes

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Hello. I want to install Windows on my new PC from USB flash storage but the Windows 10 ISO is over 4GB and thus can't be put onto a FAT32 formatted drive.

Using the Media Creation Tool I figured Microsoft would've been aware of this issue when offering you to put the installation into a USB drive, but it keeps crashing somewhere past 50% completion. Why is that?

The USB drive is a new SanDisk Ultra Dual 64GB.

Solution
Hello. I want to install Windows on my new PC from USB flash storage but the Windows 10 ISO is over 4GB and thus can't be put onto a FAT32 formatted drive.

Using the Media Creation Tool I figured Microsoft would've been aware of this issue when offering you to put the installation into a USB drive, but it keeps crashing somewhere past 50% completion. Why is that?

A FAT32 volume can be up to 32GB.
Single file size is restricted to 4GB.

The MediaCreation tool recommends...requires...a flash drive of 8GB or larger.

If creating a Win 10 install is crashing, try using a different flash drive. 8GB or larger.

Don't save the basic ISO file.
Run the MediaCreation tool from a...

USAFRet

Titan

If creating a Win 10 install is crashing, try using a different flash drive. 8GB or larger.

Run the MediaCreation tool from a working PC, and let that build the flash drive contents.

This:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And the first part of this:

Solution

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014

Run the MediaCreation tool from a working PC, and let that build the flash drive contents.

This:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And the first part of this:
I'm using that but it keeps crashing. They say at least 8GB while not telling you no more than 32GB but the program doesn't finish the process. And it is said elsewhere the drive should be set to FAT32 in order for the USB to be bootable with the installation. I'm trying again from a different PC after formatting it to FAT32 using a software I found. The card apparently already used FAT32 format, but let's see if it fixes.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
You do not need to format the drive first.
The MediaCreation tool reformats the thing as needed (FAT32), and builds what is necessary to install the OS.
I thought they would do that, but then why does it fail, and second they don't worn you it would format the content of they drive.

USAFRet

Titan
I thought they would do that, but then why does it fail, and second they don't worn you it would format the content of they drive.
  1. Try a different flash drive. Yours may be failing. Seen that many times.
  2. It DOES warn you. Twice. On the MS website where you get the MCT, and then again when you select the drive to use.

From the MS website:
"A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted."

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
  1. Try a different flash drive. Yours may be failing. Seen that many times.
  2. It DOES warn you. Twice. On the MS website where you get the MCT, and then again when you select the drive to use.
From the MS website:
"A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted."
J didn't see during the creation process, but anyway it seems to have worked now. The drive only shows as 32GB now instead of 64GB, I wonder if it is because the Media Creation partitioned it as such and you don't see the other half or because of the formatting I did earlier?

USAFRet

Titan
J didn't see during the creation process, but anyway it seems to have worked now. The drive only shows as 32GB now instead of 64GB, I wonder if it is because the Media Creation partitioned it as such and you don't see the other half or because of the formatting I did earlier?
It is 32GB, because the drive is now formatted as FAT32.
Max volume size is 32GB.
Not partitioned.
The MediaCreation tool does this.

After using it, you can reformat it as NTFS and return it to the original 64GB.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Max volume size is 32GB.
Not partitioned.

Currently also NTFS only shows 32GB as an option, but there is an option "return to defaults". Anyway I'll try to install the Windows now.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Max volume size is 32GB.
Not partitioned.

Hm... I've installed Windows, seemed to work fine. It didn't show the second SSD in Windows yet but I figured it might be because this was the first run with the Windows SSD alone.

But I reset the PC and entered BIOS settings, I enabled XMP profile 1 as the RAM is 2x16 Ballistix 3600, did Save & Exit, nothing happened and screen stayed blank. PC won't reset from button, so I switched PSU off. Powered up PC but now it doesn't even enter BIOS, it just keeps running CPU fan on full power.

I have Aorus Pro B550 AC. What should I do?

Edit: OK, I cleared the CMOS (I suppose) using the shorting pins and it turned on, I went into BIOS and the same settings were still showing so I disabled XMP. Maybe I need to update the BIOS version.

Last edited: