[SOLVED] Where are the 16 and 32 gig sticks of gaming RAM???

DreamBliss

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I have a computer that is nearly 10 years old. I know, I need to replace it.

The motherboard supports 64 gigs of RAM. But the best I could find was 16 gigs. Why? because the biggest sticks of gaming RAM I could get were some Mushkin 8 gigs. I have looked multiple times, but there are no sticks of RAM that are 16 or 32 gigs in size. I would love to properly upgrade my computer.

Is there a shortage? Some sort of hardware limitation? I didn't want to use 4 sticks, and I tried using my old two sticks with the new ones an the computer wouldn't boot. Too much of headache for me. Better to throw in just two sticks of RAM. But I want more than 16 gigs total.

Again I appreciate your helping me to understand this!

10 year old system, so an intel gen 1-3 ish or an AMD FX series so we are looking at DDR3 ram.

There are a few kits of 2x16 GB out there but DDR3 hasn't been made for about 5 years now, so whatever is on the market is probably it. Here is a list on PCpartpicker of 6 kits https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#xcx=0&U=3&Z=32768002&t=11 you will have to google them to try and find a seller, most likely will be ebay.

Even with current gaming computers 16GB is fine for gaming. For DDR3 the standard for 2 stick kits were 4GB, it wasnt till DDR4 came along that the standard had moved to 2x8GB sticks.

What is your system and what are you trying to do with it? If its just gaming the throwing more ram at it would help. An SSD will help increase boot time and load times into games but not FPS. The only way to increase FPS in games is a better CPU or GPU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it seems a waste of money upgrading ram on a PC you know needs replacing.

Sure, now not ideal to upgrade but I don't think I would bother getting 64gb of ram on a 10 year old PC, I don't even have that much on a 6 month old PC. Since its old ram you would pay a premium because its harder to find.

DreamBliss

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
I was just wondering why the sticks don't seem to exist anywhere. I know its not the age, other much older hardware exists at places like Amazon and NewEgg.

Thank you for the link. None of that RAM is gaming RAM. Yes, DDR3. I am intending to build a new, RTX computer. But have to wait for now.

DreamBliss

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Don't laugh... Here are my specs:

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 7870
Vendor
Pineview Industries Ltd.
# of cards
SLI / CrossFire
Off
Memory
2,048 MB
Clock frequency
1,000 MHz (1,000 MHz)
Average clock frequency
N/A
Memory clock frequency
1,200 MHz (1,200 MHz)
Average memory clock frequency
N/A
Average temperature
N/A
Driver version
Driver status
Approved

Processor
3/3
Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
Clock frequency
3,799 MHz (3,400 MHz)
Physical / logical processors
1 / 4
# of cores
Package
LGA 1155
Manufacturing process
22 nm
TDP
77 W

Operating system
64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601)

Motherboard
MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING (MS-7751)
Memory
16,384 MB
Module 1
8,192 MB Mushkin DDR3 @ 1,598 MHz
Module 2
8,192 MB Mushkin DDR3 @ 1,598 MHz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The sticks don't exist because back then they didn't exist. Since that time, motherboard design, cpu design etc has evolved, allowing for higher speed, higher capacity ram, DDR4. 10 years ago, if you wanted more than 32Gb of ram (8Gb x 4) you needed a HEDT pc.