[SOLVED] Where Can I Buy a Legit Copy of Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I should have done this a couple years back, but I kept putting it off. I would be switching over from Windows 7, but I want a full version—not an "upgrade" version. . I'd prefer to get it on a USB stick.

I have concerns about picking up a copy of Windows 10 Pro from Amazon, only to find out it is an OEM, bootleg, or the key is otherwise limited—even used.

Where might I pick up a legitimate copy of Windows 10 Pro? Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
No, I have Windows 7 Home.
I'm fairly certain I want Windows 10 Pro. There are a couple features I missed out on with Windows 7 Home, and I'd rather not be in that place again. I will need a new key if I want Windows 10 Pro.

I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft. I have it on a USB stick and as an ISO (but I need to buy more duel layer DVD discs if I want to burn that ISO).

I had to first resolve a lingering Windows 7 issue by downloading and running the MicrosoftEasyFix51044 wizard. This prevents a possible error encountered when running the Media Creation Tool without updated security protocols. I did NOT have to download Windows 10 with my phone to transfer over to my PC, or perform a "clean boot".

As far...

USAFRet

Titan
I should have done this a couple years back, but I kept putting it off. I would be switching over from Windows 7, but I want a full version—not an "upgrade" version. . I'd prefer to get it on a USB stick.

I have concerns about picking up a copy of Windows 10 Pro from Amazon, only to find out it is an OEM, bootleg, or the key is otherwise limited—even used.

Where might I pick up a legitimate copy of Windows 10 Pro? Thank you!
To be clear...you're changing from a valid licensed Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?

If so, your existing Win 7 license will fully activate a fresh Win 10 install, for free.

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

I'm fairly certain I want Windows 10 Pro. There are a couple features I missed out on with Windows 7 Home, and I'd rather not be in that place again. I will need a new key if I want Windows 10 Pro.

I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft. I have it on a USB stick and as an ISO (but I need to buy more duel layer DVD discs if I want to burn that ISO).

I had to first resolve a lingering Windows 7 issue by downloading and running the MicrosoftEasyFix51044 wizard. This prevents a possible error encountered when running the Media Creation Tool without updated security protocols. I did NOT have to download Windows 10 with my phone to transfer over to my PC, or perform a "clean boot".

As far as I can tell, the only thing I need at this point is a key. I'll need one for the full retail version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Tom's has a good article that helped me out while waiting for advice here.

It seems Kinguin is the place to go? Paying Microsoft $200 is foolish?

It may be the case that you have to have bought a key by January 31st of next year—maybe it's just that the download will no longer be available.

USAFRet

Titan

As far as I can tell, the only thing I need at this point is a key. I'll need one for the full retail version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Tom's has a good article that helped me out while waiting for advice here.

It seems Kinguin is the place to go? Paying Microsoft $200 is foolish?
Kinguin and similar is NOT, repeat NOT, the way to go.

There is no cheap lane for a real Windows license.

Sites such as these can sell them cheaply by a couple of methods.
"Not for resale" - ex-corporate licenses, MSDN, old Technet. This was one of the main reasons the TechNet program was shut down.

Actual bogus licenses. Created via some 'generator'

Money laundering - Buy 100 valid workable credit card accounts. $10 each. How to turn a stolen credit card into actual money?
You buy digital goods, and then sell them cheap.
These are actual Windows licenses, purchased with stolen credit cards.

There have been numerous articles and investigations into these cheap sites, both for OS and game licenses.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3475215/kinguin-windows-key-wtf.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3304726/windows-key-working.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2942456/seller-scam-g2a.html

A Windows license costs what it costs.
Would you cheap out on hardware like that?

Solution
You can upgrade from a Home license to a Pro license for $100 if you go through the Microsoft Store
gnYEtwN.png

You can go to this directly in Settings -> System -> About -> Activation

USAFRet

Titan
Damn. Can't put this off much longer:

January 31, 2023 will be the last day this Windows 10 download is offered for sale. Windows 10 will remain supported with security updates that help protect your PC from viruses, spyware, and other malware until October 14, 2025.
Good find.
I'd not seen that message before.

But, it HAS been 7+ years since Win 10 was released.

Where, specifically, did you see this?

There is no such message on the official download page:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Thats on the purchase page, not the d/l page.

Reactions: KublaiKhan
Status
Not open for further replies.