[SOLVED] Where can I find a reliable large storage HDD for a good price?

RobertLane

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
I just had an external Seagate HDD fail... In the market now for a large capacity internal HDD. Speed doesn't matter. Somewhere in the ballpark of 8-10 TB.

I have searched and searched. Places like ebay are littered with large capacity HDDs for a decent deal, but most are used, and it seems risky to buy when you don't know anything about the drive, such as how long it has been used and why the seller is selling it in the first place. has anyone had good luck with these? Is it a bad idea to go for one of these?

If ebay is a bad idea, is there anywhere else that would have a decent deal?

depends on your country...

but amazon etc. will generally be in the right ball park.

However, accept that drives will fail, it happens, even the most the reliable (any reputable manufacturer will be similar in terms of reliability), and make plans accordingly so that when it happens it's a bit of a faff but that's all.

Just thought I'd pop in to say that Seagate HDDs have been a big disappointment for me ---- had three new ones fail within six months so I never touch them now. It's WD every time for me --- still running three after 7 years of daily use. I concede, however, that other people will have had a different experience with those two brands, but I can only be guided by my own experience.

Hitachi (now HGST) ones I also trust.

You realize that is an Enterprise Drive and Hitachi won't warranty it to an individual user right?

And its also a SAS drive.

And Op said they are looking for an external.

His post says internal? Also pretty certain both Hitachi and WD both state you just have to purchase the drive from an authorized reseller. I have two of those 10 TB drives in my gaming rig actually.

USAFRet

Titan
Just thought I'd pop in to say that Seagate HDDs have been a big disappointment for me ---- had three new ones fail within six months so I never touch them now. It's WD every time for me --- still running three after 7 years of daily use. I concede, however, that other people will have had a different experience with those two brands, but I can only be guided by my own experience.

Hitachi (now HGST) ones I also trust.
And for me, just the opposite.
None of my Seagates have failed, only a WD Green 3TB.

popatim

Titan
Op wants internal drive, it is sata.
My Bad. I saw his external failed and my brain went with that..
I can see (now) why you thought it was Sata since that is what PCpartpicker says but if you click any of the links you'll see it is a SAS Enterprise drive.

HGST Ultrastar HE10 | HUH721010AL5200 | 0F27352 | 10TB 7200 RPM SAS 12.0GB/S 256MB Cache 3.5" Inch | Instant Secure Erase | 512E | Helium Platform Enterprise Internal Bare Hard Disk Drive

Why exactly do you think, there would be any warranty issues?
1.0 out of 5 starsNo warranty
February 21, 2018
Verified Purchase
Just plugged the serial number in to the HGST warranty checker. These drives are not covered under any warranty. So if at any point during the life of this drive it does. You are SOL and out $500. Despite Overstock literally replying to the question here about warranties:

Basically WD has always said they warranty their data center drives to the OEM/Distributor that bought the bulk order and not to the individual user that only buys a couple. These aren't intended for retail sale otherwise you would be able to find the retail boxed version. You could probably 'win' if you purchased from an authorized distributor and threaten legal action though.

Notice the Amazon drive is not shipped and Sold by Amazon...

TRENDING THREADS