Where Did The Ink Go?

I bought an Epson CX5400 a little more than a year ago (out of warranty). It
stopped printing few days ago (it prints/copies, but nothing is printed out
on the paper). So I replaced all cartridges (all new Epson cartridges) and
cleaned the print head dozen times. Still no print out. I also reattached
the disconnected drainage tube, but I don't see how that would affect
print-out. So I copied 40 pages continusely. Now two of the (new) cartridges
run out of ink (according to the printer), yet not a single mark was printed
on those pages. So My question is where did all the ink go? It didn't come
out on the paper. I checked inside the printer. I didn't see anywhere
leaking ink. I'm confused. The ink must go somewhere, but I couldn't see
where.

Anyone have any clue? Have similar problem? Is this just some bad (Epson)
cartridges (really don't want to spend loads of money to buy new one to find
out)?

Thanks for any help!

--
ZR

steveb

Distinguished
May 11, 2003

There's usually a big sponge pad to collect dumped ink from cleaning cycles.

"XYZ ABC" <XYZ@abc.com> wrote in message
>I bought an Epson CX5400 a little more than a year ago (out of warranty).
>It
> stopped printing few days ago (it prints/copies, but nothing is printed
> out
> on the paper). So I replaced all cartridges (all new Epson cartridges) and
> cleaned the print head dozen times. Still no print out. I also reattached
> the disconnected drainage tube, but I don't see how that would affect
> print-out. So I copied 40 pages continusely. Now two of the (new)
> cartridges
> run out of ink (according to the printer), yet not a single mark was
> printed
> on those pages. So My question is where did all the ink go? It didn't come
> out on the paper. I checked inside the printer. I didn't see anywhere
> leaking ink. I'm confused. The ink must go somewhere, but I couldn't see
> where.
>
> Anyone have any clue? Have similar problem? Is this just some bad (Epson)
> cartridges (really don't want to spend loads of money to buy new one to
> find
> out)?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> --
> ZR

Thanks!

But how about all the ink used to do the printing? I printed many many
pages, but nothing came out.

I figure it can't be clogged print head/nozzle. If the head/nozzle are
clogged, the ink wouldn't go anywhere.

--
ZR

"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
> There's usually a big sponge pad to collect dumped ink from cleaning
cycles.

> "XYZ ABC" <XYZ@abc.com> wrote in message
> >I bought an Epson CX5400 a little more than a year ago (out of warranty).
> >It
> > stopped printing few days ago (it prints/copies, but nothing is printed
> > out
> > on the paper). So I replaced all cartridges (all new Epson cartridges)
and
> > cleaned the print head dozen times. Still no print out. I also
reattached
> > the disconnected drainage tube, but I don't see how that would affect
> > print-out. So I copied 40 pages continusely. Now two of the (new)
> > cartridges
> > run out of ink (according to the printer), yet not a single mark was
> > printed
> > on those pages. So My question is where did all the ink go? It didn't
come
> > out on the paper. I checked inside the printer. I didn't see anywhere
> > leaking ink. I'm confused. The ink must go somewhere, but I couldn't see
> > where.
> >
> > Anyone have any clue? Have similar problem? Is this just some bad
(Epson)
> > cartridges (really don't want to spend loads of money to buy new one to
> > find
> > out)?
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > --
> > ZR

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

XYZ ABC wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> But how about all the ink used to do the printing? I printed many many
> pages, but nothing came out.
>
> I figure it can't be clogged print head/nozzle. If the head/nozzle are
> clogged, the ink wouldn't go anywhere.

The ink is still in the cartridges. The ink level indication is calculated
by counting pages printed times some average usage/page, not by actually
measuring ink level. When this number reaches a certain value, the printer
stops, even though the carts may have ink remaining ... or still be full.

Neat eh?

Roby

Roby" <roby@no-address.net> wrote in message
> XYZ ABC wrote:
>
> > Thanks!
> >
> > But how about all the ink used to do the printing? I printed many many
> > pages, but nothing came out.
> >
> > I figure it can't be clogged print head/nozzle. If the head/nozzle are
> > clogged, the ink wouldn't go anywhere.
> >

> The ink is still in the cartridges. The ink level indication is
calculated
> by counting pages printed times some average usage/page, not by actually
> measuring ink level. When this number reaches a certain value, the
printer
> stops, even though the carts may have ink remaining ... or still be full.
>
> Neat eh?
>
> Roby

Thanks for the info!

That makes sense. The cartridges obviously have lots of ink in there
(heavier than the real empty ones).

I also removed and re-installed the cartridges few times. So does that mean
the printer remembers each individual cartridges? If so, is there any way to
reset the printer? Unplug the printer for certain amount of times? I did
unplugged few times.

Well, looks like the head/nozzle are clogged. Is there easy a way to remove
the clog? A shop wants over 40 bucks to purge the clog and over 100 bucks
for a new nozzle. Normal cleaning didn't seem to work.

Thanks for all the help!

ZR

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 09:08:25 -0400, Roby <roby@no-address.net> wrote
something
.......and in reply I say!:

This happens with Inkjets as well as Lasers?

Sorry to complicate the issue OP, but I thought that was Laserjeeet
behaviour.

>The ink is still in the cartridges. The ink level indication is calculated
>by counting pages printed times some average usage/page, not by actually
>measuring ink level. When this number reaches a certain value, the printer
>stops, even though the carts may have ink remaining ... or still be full.
>
>Neat eh?
>
>Roby

WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
<")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

> Thanks for the info!
> That makes sense. The cartridges obviously have lots of ink in there
> (heavier than the real empty ones).
> I also removed and re-installed the cartridges few times. So does that
mean
> the printer remembers each individual cartridges? If so, is there any way
> reset the printer? Unplug the printer for certain amount of times? I did
> unplugged few times.
> Well, looks like the head/nozzle are clogged. Is there easy a way to
remove
> the clog? A shop wants over 40 bucks to purge the clog and over 100 bucks
> for a new nozzle. Normal cleaning didn't seem to work.
> Thanks for all the help!
> ZR

Epson puts chips on some of their cartridges, so unless you can reset them
you're stuffed. That's why printers cost so little... all the profit's in
the ink.
Cleaning... Do a web search. I've seen some pretty detailed pages with
images etc.
Seem to remember some guys (from the States) recommending Windex for this
job. If memory serves me right, Windex is a proprietry window cleaning
product high in ammonia.
Could be worth checking out websites selling continuous ink systems (CIS).
They're likely to offer cleaning solutions so that you can change from one
type of ink to another. Some ingenuity may be required getting the solvent
where it can do some good.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

XYZ ABC wrote:
(snip)

> Well, looks like the head/nozzle are clogged. Is there easy a way to
> remove the clog? A shop wants over 40 bucks to purge the clog and over 100
> bucks for a new nozzle. Normal cleaning didn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks for all the help!
>
> ZR

The shop owner is probably a former stagecoach robber.

I revived a completely stuffed-up C84 by putting several drops of household
cleaner (e.g., Formula 409, Dawn, etc) on the sponge where the heads park;
left it alone for a couple of days. Completely cured.

If this works for you, post back and I will arrange to receive your $40
payment!

Roby

> Well, looks like the head/nozzle are clogged. Is there easy a way to
remove
> the clog? A shop wants over 40 bucks to purge the clog and over 100 bucks
> for a new nozzle. Normal cleaning didn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks for all the help!

Try cleaning carts. Not sure if they'll help but they are only a couple of
quid each.
You can get them at;
http://www.valueshop.co.uk
Shipping is free if you go for the standard shipping

--
Patrick

> But how about all the ink used to do the printing? I printed many many
> pages, but nothing came out.
>
> I figure it can't be clogged print head/nozzle. If the head/nozzle are
> clogged, the ink wouldn't go anywhere.

The ink may still be in the supply. The printer does not actually measure the
ink left, it calculates the ink left in the supply based on number of drops
fired (even if they never actually leave the nozzle...) and the servicing.
With the number of cleaning cycles you ran the printer may believe the
cartridges are empty and is reporting them as such. You mentioned that the
tube in the service station had been disconnected - the cleaning cycle uses a
pump to pull ink out of the printhead and the cleaning cycle would not be
effective unless the "plumbing" is properly in place.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Paul

Splendid

"XYZ ABC" <XYZ@abc.com> wrote in message
> Thanks!
>
> But how about all the ink used to do the printing? I printed many many
> pages, but nothing came out.
>
> I figure it can't be clogged print head/nozzle. If the head/nozzle are
> clogged, the ink wouldn't go anywhere.

Its still in the cartridge, the printer thinks its using it so the status
monitor shows ink usage but your cartridge is full because you're heads are
dead.

Paul

BURT

send an email to Arthur Entlich at Artistic@telus.net and ask him for the
instructions on cleaning the heads of Epson printers. He will be glad to
email it to you. There are inexpensive chip resetters for the Epson chipped
cartridges that are available from some of the aftermarket ink sellers, and
one of them also had a link to some software that will reset it. I think it
might have been Alotofthings.com.

"XYZ ABC" (XYZ@abc.com) writes:
> Thanks!
>
> But how about all the ink used to do the printing? I printed many many
> pages, but nothing came out.
>
> I figure it can't be clogged print head/nozzle. If the head/nozzle are
> clogged, the ink wouldn't go anywhere.
>
> --
> ZR

One of my Lexmark printers started streaking and I called the company. I
was instructed to look on the far right, where there turned out to be a
small tray that the print head must have "sneezed" into at some point in
the process, a nozzle cleanout. Over the course of several years enough
ink built up to make about a 1/4" hump that eventually left residue on the
underside of the print head, causing streaks. That hump probably had $20
or $30 worth of solidified ink in it. That's where mine went.

Brendan

--

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Old Nick wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 09:08:25 -0400, Roby <roby@no-address.net> wrote
> something
> ......and in reply I say!:
>
> This happens with Inkjets as well as Lasers?
>
> Sorry to complicate the issue OP, but I thought that was Laserjeeet
> behaviour.
>
>>The ink is still in the cartridges. The ink level indication is
>>calculated by counting pages printed times some average usage/page, not by
>>actually
>>measuring ink level. When this number reaches a certain value, the
>>printer stops, even though the carts may have ink remaining ... or still
>>be full.
>>
>>Neat eh?
>>
>>Roby

> WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?
>
> Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
>
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> !!
> <")
> _/ )
> ( )
> _//- \__/

I expect the automotive industry to take this up next. After X months or Y
miles, the dreaded Check Engine light goes on. If you don't visit the
dealer soon enough, the engine just stops.

For your protection, of course.

Roby

The ink in those cartridges, probably didn't go anywhere. In fact,
should you get the chips on those cartridges reset, they would probably
end up lasting as long as a new one.

Here's the deal: Epson printers actually have no idea how much ink is
in the cartridges. The chip on the side of the cartridge has no
electronic or mechanical connection to the cartridge's insides.

The way they work is this: The chip has a series of pads on them, and
these pads (or at least some of them) are used to count down some binary
or other numbers.

Epson has programmed a certain expected ink use for, start up, cleaning
cycles, and actual printing, and the printer subtracts these amounts
from the total and rewrites a new starting point for the cartridge when
you turn the printer off.

So, if the nozzles in one head are fully clogged, that cartridge doesn't
lose any ink, but the status ink monitor continues to drop as if it had
lost the ink.

Art

XYZ ABC wrote:

> I bought an Epson CX5400 a little more than a year ago (out of warranty). It
> stopped printing few days ago (it prints/copies, but nothing is printed out
> on the paper). So I replaced all cartridges (all new Epson cartridges) and
> cleaned the print head dozen times. Still no print out. I also reattached
> the disconnected drainage tube, but I don't see how that would affect
> print-out. So I copied 40 pages continusely. Now two of the (new) cartridges
> run out of ink (according to the printer), yet not a single mark was printed
> on those pages. So My question is where did all the ink go? It didn't come
> out on the paper. I checked inside the printer. I didn't see anywhere
> leaking ink. I'm confused. The ink must go somewhere, but I couldn't see
> where.
>
> Anyone have any clue? Have similar problem? Is this just some bad (Epson)
> cartridges (really don't want to spend loads of money to buy new one to find
> out)?
>
> Thanks for any help!

BTW, if you want a copy of my Cleaning Manual for Epson Inkjet printers,
email me privately and request it,. No charge, no spam.

Art

XYZ ABC wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> But how about all the ink used to do the printing? I printed many many
> pages, but nothing came out.
>
> I figure it can't be clogged print head/nozzle. If the head/nozzle are
> clogged, the ink wouldn't go anywhere.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:55:31 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Sick. It's all I can say.

They also make the cartridges opaque, whEreas they used to be
transparent.

It really is bad behaviour.

>So, if the nozzles in one head are fully clogged, that cartridge doesn't
>lose any ink, but the status ink monitor continues to drop as if it had
>lost the ink.

WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
<")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:55:31 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

So I was maybe way off beam. Sorry.

I have a programme that allows you to "fool" the cartridges. You can
actually use this refill tham and it will "tell" the sensors that it
is still 3/4 full or whatver, os they don't lie to you. But this still
does not seem to cover the whole story.

We are sheep. I will think further about this, as I seem to be paying
a dollar a page for my printing, and now find that I am being fooled
into _thinking_ I am paying a dollar a page for my
printing????.........noI _have_ been paying a dollar a page, but
throwing away ink.

This needs to backfire on the ....people...who are doing this.

>The ink in those cartridges, probably didn't go anywhere. In fact,
>should you get the chips on those cartridges reset, they would probably
>end up lasting as long as a new one.
>
>Here's the deal: Epson printers actually have no idea how much ink is
>in the cartridges. The chip on the side of the cartridge has no
>electronic or mechanical connection to the cartridge's insides.
>
>The way they work is this: The chip has a series of pads on them, and
>these pads (or at least some of them) are used to count down some binary
>or other numbers.
>
>Epson has programmed a certain expected ink use for, start up, cleaning
>cycles, and actual printing, and the printer subtracts these amounts
>from the total and rewrites a new starting point for the cartridge when
>you turn the printer off.
>
>So, if the nozzles in one head are fully clogged, that cartridge doesn't
>lose any ink, but the status ink monitor continues to drop as if it had
>lost the ink.
>
>Art
>
>XYZ ABC wrote:
>
>> I bought an Epson CX5400 a little more than a year ago (out of warranty). It
>> stopped printing few days ago (it prints/copies, but nothing is printed out
>> on the paper). So I replaced all cartridges (all new Epson cartridges) and
>> cleaned the print head dozen times. Still no print out. I also reattached
>> the disconnected drainage tube, but I don't see how that would affect
>> print-out. So I copied 40 pages continusely. Now two of the (new) cartridges
>> run out of ink (according to the printer), yet not a single mark was printed
>> on those pages. So My question is where did all the ink go? It didn't come
>> out on the paper. I checked inside the printer. I didn't see anywhere
>> leaking ink. I'm confused. The ink must go somewhere, but I couldn't see
>> where.
>>
>> Anyone have any clue? Have similar problem? Is this just some bad (Epson)
>> cartridges (really don't want to spend loads of money to buy new one to find
>> out)?
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

WHY _ARE_ WE HERE?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
<")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Thanks everyone who provided input. I finally got my printer backup and
running and thought this may help anyone who has similar problems.

I had been considering whether to spend load of money to buy new ink to try
to fix it, or throw away the printer and get another brand (Cannon?) until
Friday when I found cheap compatible ink at Microcenter. Without ink, the
printer won't allow me do anything and I couldn't tell if it's fixed or not.
Besides, I really like the printer. It looks nice, has good quality (both
build and print) and the scanner (which was the main reason I bought it) is
great.

So I bought some compatible ink and went ahead with the cleaning
following the advise from here.

First I took out the print head and soak it in alcohol (Not the one you
drink, but the 91% ones. -:)) for few hours (I know, I know. But I really
didn't
want to spend tones of money to buy some special cleaner and find out it
doesn't work). Then I use a syringe to pump more alcohol into the head and
make sure the alcohol is flowing out freely. I put the head back and
installed the new cartridge. But it still didn't print. Since I just saw the
head was cleaned, so I thought there is only one other possibility: the
clear tube under the station where the head is parked.

So I took apart the printer so I can access the tube. Initially I thought
this tube is for draining excess ink and the ink is some how "squeezed" out
of the cartridge by the cartridge itself or the head. But after I took apart
the head and the cartridge, I didn't see any "squeezing" mechanism. So I
thought the ink must be pumped out using a pump connected to the tube, and
somehow the tube is clogged. After I took apart the printer, I disconnected
the tube from the smaller plastic tube going into a reservoir and the pad. I
also squeezed the tube a little to see where it is clogged. At that moment,
a "big" piece of "dirt" shot out of the tube and flied a couple of feet
away. So obviously, the tube is used to pump ink and it was blocked such tha
t the pressure was built up in the tube. I cleaned up all the tubes using
alcohol and put everything back, and it worked.

It looks like this printer has a bad design in the ink-pumping mechanism: It
has a larger tube going into a smaller tube and the reservoir. The smaller
tube makes it difficult for "dirt" to go through and caused clog.

Hope this will help someone in cleaning his/her printer.

--
ZR

"XYZ ABC" <XYZ@abc.com> wrote in message
> I bought an Epson CX5400 a little more than a year ago (out of warranty).
It
> stopped printing few days ago (it prints/copies, but nothing is printed
out
> on the paper). So I replaced all cartridges (all new Epson cartridges) and
> cleaned the print head dozen times. Still no print out. I also reattached
> the disconnected drainage tube, but I don't see how that would affect
> print-out. So I copied 40 pages continusely. Now two of the (new)
cartridges
> run out of ink (according to the printer), yet not a single mark was
printed
> on those pages. So My question is where did all the ink go? It didn't come
> out on the paper. I checked inside the printer. I didn't see anywhere
> leaking ink. I'm confused. The ink must go somewhere, but I couldn't see
> where.
>
> Anyone have any clue? Have similar problem? Is this just some bad (Epson)
> cartridges (really don't want to spend loads of money to buy new one to
find
> out)?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> --
> ZR

Again, this explanation contains some poor advice on numerous grounds.

1) The number two cause of permanent failure of Epson ink heads is
removal of the heads and "soaking" them. Also, you can knock some of
the manually adjusted geometry out, and it is not easy to get them back
without appropriate propriety software.

2) Isopropyl alcohol is the improper solvent for all Epson inks. It can
be used in conjunction with some other household cleaning fluids to help
as both a wetting and drying agent, but it is not the appropriate
solvent by itself.

ZR is correct that if the purge tube clogs it is difficult to keep the
heads from clogging, so it does need to be cleared if a plug develops in
it. This is most common with either pigment inks or some 3rd party inks
that do not have appropriate formulas.

Again, if you have a clogging problem with an Epson printer, and you
want to resolve it without risking damaging the heads, email me for a
free manual.

Do not ask via this list, email me privately.

Art