Where do I download the ''Create installation media for Windows 8.1'' if my PC has Vista software. I'm building a new pc.

hhg6511

Reputable
May 13, 2015
I want to download Windows 8.1 on to my new PC build using a USB. (My final pieces for my PC will arrive tomorrow.) I went to Microsoft website on "Creating Installation Media for Windows 8.1''. I clicked on the ''Create Media'' button and it tells me I can't download it because my computer is using Windows Vista. I visit the link for Windows Vista upgrade to Windows 8.1 but it tells me I need to buy and disc install Windows 8.1. Not what I want.

Help, how do I get Windows 8.1 on to my new PC through a USB? Also, I'm using the Rufus program to make the bootable USB.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
If you purchase a license key, it will have instructions on how to obtain the media.

You cannot install the software without the key, so... you need to get one anyway.

Please get a license key, the forums is not a place to get instructions on how to pirate software. I am not saying you're pirating it, I'm just saying once you get the key, it will have a link for you. Otherwise, people may use any instructions to try to pirate the software.