Where do i plug in my monitor, dual GPU no SLI

michael.neumannn

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
I got a GeForce 1080 which I use for mining and sometimes game on it. When I mine and watch videos at the same time, the videos have low framerate so I am thinking about buying a weak 1050 video card to watch videos on while mining with 1080. My motherboard doesnt support SLI. I wonder if I will need to switch where I plug in my monitor for gaming on 1080 or watching on 1050. Or they communicate fine and it doesnt matter?

Solution
OK Solved. Soooo...when I plug in cables from GPU and motherboard to one monitor at the same time, the GPU is always considered monitor number one. No matter the order I plug them in. If I choose in Windows to show only second monitor, change the source on monitor to motherboard, PC stops using GPU and starts using the Intel HD graphics, which I enabled in BIOS. I searched some forums and found out that if I disable hardware acceleration in a browser I can acually keep my GPU connection to monitor on, mine 100% and watch youtube because the PC stops trying to use GPU. So thats the best solution for me so far. Its better for me this way couse I want only one cable from my PC to monitor...couse my PC will be in a different room.
Thanks...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you need to have the display hooked up the GPU you want it to use.

I suggest a GT1030 for just watching things, it will be a little cheaper.

Though if you have an Intel CPU with onboard graphics, see if you can activate that. Some motherboards allow both the GPU and iGPU to run at the same time.

michael.neumannn

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018

I activated it. Plugged a second monitor cable into the motherboard. It works, but my pc is still using the 1080. Can i set it somehow to not use it :-D

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Some motherboards do, others just use the port on the motherboard as a passthrough. Setting the primary display in the BIOS to the Intel chip might do it, but then you would have to do that any time you wanted to play a game.

Wolfshadw

Titan
What happens if you manually change the source on the display?

For instance, if your display's HDMI input is connected to the graphics card's HDMI output and the display's DVI input is connected to the motherboard's DVI output, what happens if you change your display to DVI (instead of HDMI)?

-Wolf sends

michael.neumannn

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
OK Solved. Soooo...when I plug in cables from GPU and motherboard to one monitor at the same time, the GPU is always considered monitor number one. No matter the order I plug them in. If I choose in Windows to show only second monitor, change the source on monitor to motherboard, PC stops using GPU and starts using the Intel HD graphics, which I enabled in BIOS. I searched some forums and found out that if I disable hardware acceleration in a browser I can acually keep my GPU connection to monitor on, mine 100% and watch youtube because the PC stops trying to use GPU. So thats the best solution for me so far. Its better for me this way couse I want only one cable from my PC to monitor...couse my PC will be in a different room.
Thanks all for your input.
Read you later!

Solution