[SOLVED] Where do you set up your fan curves?

werther595

Prominent
Aug 29, 2020
pcpartpicker.com
Do you all set up fan curves in BIOS or in some software rom you motherboard, or somewhere else? I set up a pretty relaxed fan curves in my mobo software (ASRock B550M Pro4, A-Tuning) but noticed a pretty wide discrepancy between my CPU temps according to RyzenMaster (33C-49C) and HWMonitor (45C-60C). It seems ATuning is using info similar to the HW Monitor stats, which is making my fans kick up earlier than I want them to.

Should I just raise the floors for the fan speed increases in ATuning, or manage this function elsewhere?

Solution
There's 3 ways to set up fan curves, depending on what you use.
  1. Always available, is bios. It'll have some basic form of curve management.
  2. Motherboard software, like Asus FanXpert, offers slightly better options, more in depth and user friendly. Often it's visual, not just number oriented.
  3. Proprietary software like Argosoft or SpeedFan. Most tailor able, very in depth, might not always be user friendly (SpeedFan has a learning curve it's so complex), but has options 1 or 2 simply do not have.
1 is available automatically. 2 is specific to the vendor, you won't be using asus motherboard software with a gigabyte motherboard. 3 is multi-vendor, doesn't care, but you have to go find it and might have to pay for it.

Like...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All mine have been set in bios. My setup is a bit different from most, so it's a bit of an outlier.

Are you one of the many disturbed by the constant revving of Ryzen 3000? That's the nature of the chips in their 'rush to sleep state' to save power.
The 'relaxed' fan curve is probably the wrong way to go about it. To ease up the revving, you're going to have to run higher minimum fan speeds. If the fan speeds are already 'up there', then the revving won't be as sharp.
-Minimum fan speed of 60-70%, at a temp of the same number in C.
-Middle fan speed of 80% at 80C
-100% speed at 90C
Something like that.

You might even have to consider replacing fans/cooler if the noise from the higher speeds disturbs you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 3 ways to set up fan curves, depending on what you use.
  1. Always available, is bios. It'll have some basic form of curve management.
  2. Motherboard software, like Asus FanXpert, offers slightly better options, more in depth and user friendly. Often it's visual, not just number oriented.
  3. Proprietary software like Argosoft or SpeedFan. Most tailor able, very in depth, might not always be user friendly (SpeedFan has a learning curve it's so complex), but has options 1 or 2 simply do not have.
1 is available automatically. 2 is specific to the vendor, you won't be using asus motherboard software with a gigabyte motherboard. 3 is multi-vendor, doesn't care, but you have to go find it and might have to pay for it.

Like Phaaze88, mine is a little different. Slow rise from 20% to 30% at 20°C to 60°C, then sharp rise to 100% at 70°C. And I'm using 1000 rpm Noctua, so fan speeds are seriously low volume-dead silent. If I ever hear the fans, there's something up with temps.

To a cpu 30°C and 60°C are the same, no change in performance at all, no extra damage from temps etc. So chasing the extra few odd °C by using higher speed, higher airflow, much louder volume fans is useless.

Last edited:
Solution

Latest posts