Where is my hard disk space going???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I have a solid state 80gb drive that I try to keep to a minimum. When I first built my computer (about 8 months ago), I easily had 40 gigs free. I haven't installed anything of significant size since, but my drive is slowly becoming full and I don't know why! Now I'm at the point where it's almost completely full!!!

BTW, recycle bin is empty!

Here is a screenshot of my drive info...Can anyone make any sense of this??
HD%20issue.jpg

Ismael Vene

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I have corsair ssd 120gb and have same problem and the same windows...and i find out what is using space: this is the virtual memory and if you have more than 3 or 4 gb of ram it is ok to disable virtual memory. To to that: right click on "my computher" then click prop. Go to "Advanced System Settings", go to "Advanced" tab and click "Settings" under Performance, then go to advanced tab and click "Change" hit "No paging file" and then hit "Set".

Warning: After doing this some games or appz won't work anymore, extremely rarely but it might just happen. Fuel doesn't work without a pagefile.

Caldrumr

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
I noticed you have Fraps there. Make sure you don't have any huge video files lurking in there.
Another place I tend to forget is drivers. I'm not sure about AMD, but nVidia stores old drivers forever. So if you update your drivers regularly, you could have a lot of ancient ones, and they are large folders.
Also, you can use this utility to visualize exactly where your space is being used: https://windirstat.info/

simpsonius

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Hello,

I know that probably you solved your problems by now, but in case that anyone has the same problem, here are some steps that can be checked in order to recuperate some HDD space
http://