[SOLVED] Where is the bottleneck in using a usb drive for a operating system?

Feb 10, 2020
I want to run Kali linux off of a flashdrive in a usb 3.1 type 1 port. I see the transfer rate is 5Gbps which is fine, but I know there are other factors at play. What are the negatives for using a 3.1 type 1 port?

Solution
Hmm okay, I think I should just figure out how to dual boot with my nvme m.2 ssd
From what I have read, and tried so far, it's actually a little difficult .

Install a second drive, install Linux on that. In the BIOS set drive priority to your main OS as the first one. When you want to swap OS use the boot option key for your system and select the other drive.
Hmm okay, I think I should just figure out how to dual boot with my nvme m.2 ssd

Install a second drive, install Linux on that. In the BIOS set drive priority to your main OS as the first one. When you want to swap OS use the boot option key for your system and select the other drive.

Solution
Try it from the USB first,linux is pretty light and has very little access to the drive once it's loaded up.
It's not worth the risk of messing up your main installation and having to install windows from scratch.