Where is the HDR option?

Lespaul678

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
I just bought a Samsung UN43NU7100 that is 4k and HDR capable. I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on my Xbox One X and have both "4k" and "HDR10" options checked in the dashboard menu, so I know that it is in fact capable.

However, I do not see any option whatsoever in any of the settings menus on the tv itself that says HDR. The word HDR is not mentioned once, literally. Why? How do I turn on the option for HDR?

I've googled it and everything I found does not apply to my situation. It either says to do something that I can't or the settings menu looks different from my own. I found a "guide" on google that said to check the HRD

What is going on here?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
On the 7000 series you need to turn on UHD Color and 4:4:4 sub-sampling under the picture submenu. there a few other things you need to do like turn your brightness to 10 but generally thats all you need to do on the TV side then you need to HDR on the xbox end. I run a Samsung myself and admittedly it is a bit of a pain to set up...this may help as well.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu7100/settings

Lespaul678

Distinguished
May 12, 2013

I tried some of the number settings that the guide used and honestly, it looked terrible. Barely any color at all and way too dim.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
if your brightness setting goes to 20 (some panels do) then turn it up to that. As for the color settings. Those are ball park settings and still need tweaking. It is best if you have a calibration tool their numbers are as stated "ball park" settings.

Lespaul678

Distinguished
May 12, 2013

My brightness only goes up to 5, my backlight goes up to 50 and that's where I have to get most of my "brightness" from as the gamma is kinda crappy.

Lespaul678

Distinguished
May 12, 2013

My brightness only goes up to 5, my backlight goes up to 50 and that's where I have to get most of my "brightness" from as the gamma is kinda crappy.

As for the Chroma subsampling 4:4:4 option, I do not see anything relating to this. This is a very poor settings menu.