[SOLVED] Where should I connect my 3pin water liqui pump on mobo

Feb 25, 2019
Hello guys. I am new to this forum this is my first post!!! ☺. I purchased my new coolermaster masterliquid 120l RGB for my FX8300. My Mobo is gigabyte 970a-ds3p. That Mobo has a 4pin cpu_fan header, a 4pin sys_fan header, a 3pin sys_fan header & a pwr fan header. My question is, where should I connect my pump 3 pin connector, so the pump's speed can be controlled by Mobo? I want this because I think it's better pumb don't work at full speed every time. I think if I connect 3pin connector to cpu fan header it will work but cpu fan header is 4pin. I readed the mobos manual and I saw that only cpu fan header and sys1 fan header support slope PWM control. But my pumb connector has only 3pin. Please help me with your answers. Thanks. 👍

Solution
Well yes it is true that a motherboard can power and control the speed of any 3-pin fan IF it is designed to do that.That is, IF the header is using DC Voltage Control Mode. however a 4-pin fan header that uses only PWM Mode cannot control the speed of a 3-pin fan.
I'm not 100%sure with the Gigabyte 970a-ds3p. Maybe someone with your board can clarify.
Feb 25, 2019
I observed something strange. If I connect my 3pin pump or any 3pin fan into cpu_fan header or sys1_fan header I can control the rpm into bios. If I think it correct, probably some motherboards (including mine) allow speed fan control if a 3pin connector is connected to a PWM 4 pin header. Is it right?

Well yes it is true that a motherboard can power and control the speed of any 3-pin fan IF it is designed to do that.That is, IF the header is using DC Voltage Control Mode. however a 4-pin fan header that uses only PWM Mode cannot control the speed of a 3-pin fan.
I'm not 100%sure with the Gigabyte 970a-ds3p. Maybe someone with your board can clarify.

Solution