[SOLVED] Where to find Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard - Install .iso file

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmedia_yt

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Hi. I've scoured the internet and I can't seem to find a Mac OS X Leopard install ISO. I know that this ISO will not fit onto a single-layer disc, so I need to find one, mount it in Windows and shrink it down to an appropriate size. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I'd avoid that. It's a pirated copy, not a genuine Apple disk. "The Apple software is FREE or Purchase to download from App store, what you are paying for is the new DVD, postage/packaging and my time spent to make this DVD.". That's not true - Apple don't offer Leopard as a free download. "My time spent to make this DVD" means "My time spent making a pirated copy of this DVD".

Something like this is what you want: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-OSX-Leopard-10-5-Retail-MB021Z-A-DVD-Boxed-/222630033759?hash=item33d5c8b95f:g:r3kAAOSwaOxZqCGO

As far as I can tell that's the genuine article, including box and manual.

pmedia_yt

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Yes, I have seen that Apple still sells 10.6 Snow Leopard, but I need 10.5 Leopard for PowerPC. And the problem is that all my computers don't have Dual-Layer DVD drives. And unfortunately, the disc is Dual-Layer. Although if I come across an Intel-Based Mac, I will know where to find Snow Leopard.
I've heard that you can call Apple to get a replacement disc, but that is Dual-Layer as well.

McHenryB

Admirable
All Mac models that are capable of running OS X 10.5 should have a DVD drive capable of reading the install DVD. What model(s) are you trying to install it on?

Alternatively, buy a cheap external DVD drive. But make sure that your machines are supported by 10.5 first.

pmedia_yt

Prominent
May 30, 2017
I'm using a Power Mac G4 MDD with a Dual 1.25GHz PPC G4.
I have no idea if the drive is even dual-layer capable, as it doesn't tell me even if I go into the Apple System Profiler, and even if it is, I don't have any DL discs in my home.

Long time Windows User trying to Mac = I have no idea what I'm doing

McHenryB

Admirable
The drive will be able to read dual-layer discs. If you purchase the disk from Apple it should work just fine. You can find it cheaper on eBay, but be sure that you purchase either a retail edition or one intended specifically for your model. The 10.5 disks supplied with early Intel Macs didn't contain the PPC version. A version for a different PPC model would not include drivers for your hardware.

As long as you purchase a retail version and have at least 1GB of RAM it should run just fine.

pmedia_yt

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Thanks. My Windtunnel G4 is misbehaving right now, so will have to troubleshoot some time tomorrow. Do Apple even sell Leopard discs any more? The videos and documentation I've seen is from 2011-2013. Plus, I have no idea if Apple even extends the service of replacement discs to the UK.
Amazed that Apple do have some support for older Macs though, especially the PowerPC Architecture.

McHenryB

Admirable
That drive definitely reads dual-layer disks (though it cannot write them).

On further searching, I may be wrong about Apple still selling Leopard disks, though they do sell Snow Leopard. But eBay usually has a selection of genuine Apple retail disks, new and used, at reasonable prices.

McHenryB

Admirable
I'd avoid that. It's a pirated copy, not a genuine Apple disk. "The Apple software is FREE or Purchase to download from App store, what you are paying for is the new DVD, postage/packaging and my time spent to make this DVD.". That's not true - Apple don't offer Leopard as a free download. "My time spent to make this DVD" means "My time spent making a pirated copy of this DVD".

Something like this is what you want: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-OSX-Leopard-10-5-Retail-MB021Z-A-DVD-Boxed-/222630033759?hash=item33d5c8b95f:g:r3kAAOSwaOxZqCGO

As far as I can tell that's the genuine article, including box and manual.

Solution

pmedia_yt

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.