[SOLVED] Where to find motherboard schematics? [Answered]

Oct 31, 2021
Hello, I need the schematics for a Gigabye Aorus X470 Ultra Rev 1.0 motherboard, as a recent power outage seems to have shorted something on the board.

Any resources for finding this? Im looking for something that gives me a reference that I can check against multimeter readings.

The reason I think its the motherboard is because the power supply gives a short buzz when the 8pin motherboard connector is connected to the motherboard with only the CPU plugged in. The PSU's power output is normal.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Solution
Hello, I need the schematics for a Gigabye Aorus X470 Ultra Rev 1.0 motherboard, as a recent power outage seems to have shorted something on the board.

Any resources for finding this? Im looking for something that gives me a reference that I can check against multimeter readings.

The reason I think its the motherboard is because the power supply gives a short buzz when the 8pin motherboard connector is connected to the motherboard with only the CPU plugged in. The PSU's power output is normal.

It's an exercise in futility looking for consumer motherboard schematics. They're generally too cheap to be worth repairing so detailed troubleshooting isn't worth it.

I'd say it's less...
i don't know about finding in depth schematics for individual boards.
possibly contacting manufacturer tech support and convincing them to elevate your request to a high enough party could get you there.

what are the complete system specs?
a recent power outage seems to have shorted something on the board.
does it still seem to boot & function properly besides the mentioned noise?

Oct 31, 2021

does it still seem to boot & function properly besides the mentioned noise?

Well I should have clarified; thats all it does. No booting, no.post codes, no led/rgb lights come on anywhere.
I will give the support line a call and see if I can get it figured out.

It's an exercise in futility looking for consumer motherboard schematics. They're generally too cheap to be worth repairing so detailed troubleshooting isn't worth it.

I'd say it's less likely the motherboard...more likely the PSU. Reason being power surges hit the PSU first. You've said the PSU voltage output is correct but did you check it under load? You'd need some sort of load bank to drive the +12V output into, enough to load it reasonably well. You'll also need an oscilloscope to check ripple, if doing this right.

If it is the motherboard I'd look at the CPU VRM because it buzzes when you attach the 8 PIN CPU power connector. Probably one of the FET's has blown so look closely all around them for evidence. You'll have to remove heatsinks if there are any. You could also try removing the CPU to see if it still buzzes on the off-chance that's the culprit.

Last edited:
Solution
No booting, no.post codes, no led/rgb lights come on anywhere.
this plus the mentioned noise i would put all bets on a malfunctioned power supply.

is it connected to a surge protector, UPS, or some form of extension cable(s)?
if so, are those still functioning normally?
The PSU's power output is normal.
what tells you this?
and have you tested it on another system to verify it can still output properly?

and again:

There are a reason why surge protectors are recommended in households - this.

If there was a short voltage spike from the mains, that can make damage to either PSU, motherboard or both, and may also include other components as well.

Reason is - The PSU "chop up" the input voltage in very small time intervals, and it's partially true that within those intervals - the voltage (spike) from mains does also goes through the smtp transformer (even with great damping of short current) and is therefore very potent in order to create damage to both PSU and mainboard.

If this is what killed your computer, you may file a complain to the local electricity provider, but they will probably ask if you had installed a power surge.

Oct 31, 2021
I definitely should have plugged it into a surge protector. Ive actually got another PC with another power supply that I will be trying today.
I tested the PSU by verifying the leads output the right voltage with a multimeter, I didnt consider that there could be problems beyond that.

My complete system specs:
Aorus ultra gaming x470 motherboard
ryzen 5 2600x cpu
2x8 gb vengance LPX DDR4 ram
MSI rtx 2070 super ventus OC
NZXT hs510
500gb samsung evo nvme ssd (m.2)
2tb western digital blue HDD
powerspec 650W 80+ gold PSU, PS 650GSM

Oct 31, 2021
Okay well in that case Ill try another PSU. The one I have right now is for an older computer with only 4 pin connectors, but I did get 1 day shipping on a corsair psu. Same wattage, model number CX650M. Ill update after I try it out.

would an RM750 be an improvment on that? I see its got a 10 year warranty
It's overkill...you really don't need more than an RM550, RM650 if your plans entail significant upgrades to CPU and GPU in the future.

I personally like the RM line...have an RM550 (RX480 OC and Ryzen 1700 OC'd) and RM650 (RX5700XT and Ryzen 3700X PBO'd) myself. Solid units with 10 year warranties.

They are very cool running and fans hardly ever turn on, even when running CPU and GPU at simultaneous heavy workloads with Folding@Home. When they do, it's fairly low speed, quiet, with exhaust air not that warm. I'm not really working them very hard, I'd be comfortable with the RM550 on the 3700x/5700xt system.

Oct 31, 2021
Okay. Ive got an RM650 in the mail, I was able to cancel the order.

Some bad news though; I was able to try the PC with a friends power supply, and I still didnt work with the 8 pin power plugged in. It, and my old psu, did work when the CPU was removed however. I had a spare CPU that fit the socket, putting that in had the same effect.

Not sure what the issue is here, I think Ive narrowed it down to the motherboard at this point.

Ill keep the new PSU though, in any case.

Okay. Ive got an RM650 in the mail, I was able to cancel the order.

Some bad news though; I was able to try the PC with a friends power supply, and I still didnt work with the 8 pin power plugged in. It, and my old psu, did work when the CPU was removed however. I had a spare CPU that fit the socket, putting that in had the same effect.

Not sure what the issue is here, I think Ive narrowed it down to the motherboard at this point.

Ill keep the new PSU though, in any case.
So it will spin up fans and light lights with the CPU removed, but put either CPU in and it doesn't? And same with both PSU's....

If you can, remove the heatsinks from the VRM heatsink and have a careful look around the FET's or power blocks. Look for blackened areas or even a blown-out pit in one of them. That would be decisive.

Are you POSITIVE the 2nd CPU was good at the outset? and still good at the end? It's always a good idea to be careful with problems like this. There's a thing called a 'hardware virus' that afflicts power circuits: you replace one part you're sure is bad but there's another bad part elsewhere that just burns it out upon replacement. The bad 'power' parts in this case are CPU, motherboard VRM and PSU.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
If you can, remove the heatsinks from the VRM heatsink and have a careful look around the FET's or power blocks. Look for blackened areas or even a blown-out pit in one of them. That would be decisive.

Are you POSITIVE the 2nd CPU was good at the outset? and still good at the end?

I did that at the outset; and Im not able to see any damage on any part of the board.

And yes the second CPU was working before and after.

Oct 31, 2021
Okay so I ordered another motherboard and everything is working. Thank you all for the help. While it wasn't the PSU after all, I now have one that I trust. And yes, it's plugged into the surge protector. The more you know.

TRENDING THREADS