[SOLVED] Where to plug aio

Feb 28, 2020
So im new to pc building and i have recently bought the Asus crosshair viii hero wifi and the NZXT kraken x73 aio. Iv tried finding advice everywhere and checking manuals but nowhere seems to have a clear answer. I want to know where i plug the aio into on the mobo. Theres the cpu_fan header and the aio pump header. I thought i had to plug the aio into the cpu_fan header and the corsair ll120 fans i have will be plugged into my commander pro and then in to a system fan header is that right, someone please help. I dont know if i should plug the 3 fans into the cpu_fan and the aio in to the aio header whats the right way.

Solution
So im new to pc building and i have recently bought the Asus crosshair viii hero wifi and the NZXT kraken x73 aio. Iv tried finding advice everywhere and checking manuals but nowhere seems to have a clear answer. I want to know where i plug the aio into on the mobo. Theres the cpu_fan header and the aio pump header. I thought i had to plug the aio into the cpu_fan header and the corsair ll120 fans i have will be plugged into my commander pro and then in to a system fan header is that right, someone please help. I dont know if i should plug the 3 fans into the cpu_fan and the aio in to the aio header whats the right way.

The AIO goes into one of the 3 headers I posted before IF you have an ASUS board. If you got a...
Feb 28, 2020

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
you can plug the aio header into any cpu pin header as long as the header has 4pin, so you can control the pump speed in the bios and yes you can plug your fans and rgb header to commander pro

you can plug the aio header into any cpu pin header as long as the header has 4pin, so you can control the pump speed in the bios and yes you can plug your fans and rgb header to commander pro

That is not really true...

On an ASUS board you should plug the AIO into either the AIO header or the H-AMP or the W-PUMP header.

Reason for this is that all of this 3 has the capasity to handle more powerdraw than a regular fan header.
Using a regular fan header can if you are unlucky break the regular fan header.

The AIO goes into one of the 3 headers I posted before IF you have an ASUS board. If you got a different brand you need to look it up in the manual for your motherboard. Or post the full name of the motherboard here and we will help you out.

When it comes to the fans you have to look up how many AMPS the fan header can handle (the instruction manual that came with the board).
As an example if the fan header was 1A max and max for each fan was 400mA (look up your fan specs) then you can only support two fans.

Now if the case is that it can only handle 2 fans, you got options.

1. Plug 1 fan into CPU_FAN and the other 2 into an another fan header. There are several programs you can use to adjust fan speeds. Even in BIOS/UEFI. (might need to swap from DC to PWM in BIOS/UEFI) (again look in the manual)

2. By a fan splitter like this: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html and just follow instructions that comes with it. But the short answer is that you then use one cable from CPU_FAN to the fan hub. Then plug your 3 fans into the hub. And power the hub with a sata cable from the PSU.
Adjust speed of the fans with a program. Most motherboard makers have a program you can use.

Hope this did answer your question.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 28, 2020
The AIO goes into one of the 3 headers I posted before IF you have an ASUS board. If you got a different brand you need to look it up in the manual for your motherboard. Or post the full name of the motherboard here and we will help you out.

When it comes to the fans you have to look up how many AMPS the fan header can handle (the instruction manual that came with the board).
As an example if the fan header was 1A max and max for each fan was 400mA (look up your fan specs) then you can only support two fans.

Now if the case is that it can only handle 2 fans, you got options.

1. Plug 1 fan into CPU_FAN and the other 2 into an another fan header. There are several programs you can use to adjust fan speeds. Even in BIOS/UEFI. (might need to swap from DC to PWM in BIOS/UEFI) (again look in the manual)

2. By a fan splitter like this: http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html and just follow instructions that comes with it. But the short answer is that you then use one cable from CPU_FAN to the fan hub. Then plug your 3 fans into the hub. And power the hub with a sata cable from the PSU.
Adjust speed of the fans with a program. Most motherboard makers have a program you can use.

Hope this did answer your question.
Ok so i will plug the kraken x73 into the aio pump header but i still dont understand how i can plug my 3 fans into 1 cpu header and into the corsair commander pro aswell. I just checked so on the crosshair viii hero wifi the cpu_fan header takes 1amp and the corsair ll120 fans need 0.3 but how would i plug 3 fans into 1 cpu_fan header and use the commander pro i have 3 more fans in the case which are plugged into the commander pro already so can i not use the commander pro for the 3 aio fans.

Last edited:
Good :) where to plug the AIO is solved :D

Next problem :D

You can use a 1 to 3 fan splitter. Something like this: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-cable-y-splitter-3-fan-pwm-10cm
That way you can plug 3 PWM fans into one fan header.

Or the 100% safest way:

1. Plug 1 fan into the CPU_FAN header.
  2. Plug the other 2 into an another free FAN_header using a splitter.
  3. Adjust fan speeds on CPU_FAN and the FAN_header to match.
Or go the mental way and plug 1 fan into CPU_FAN. 1 fan into a FAN_header and the last 1 fan into a second FAN_header.
Then adjust fans on all 3 headers to match. (this is not a sane way to do it. But its 100% idiotic proof :D )

Either way you leave the Commander pro and the 3 other case fans alone with either of the one setups I mentioned above.

Hope this did answer the question :)