Where's all my RAM going?!?!?

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I just put a new system together, specs: E8500, Vista 64bit, GTX285, 4 gigs of ram, 640gig HD, Gigabyte UD3R mobo..

Now, my cpu usage is about 3%, however, my ram stays at 28% used, why is this much being used? I checked my task manager, and it says "Total: 4093" Cached: 3198" Free: 38"

How can I get my computer to stop using so much ram?!

Why do you think RAM being used is a "bad thing"?
It's actually a "good thing" It means less "stuff" will need to be pulled from the slow HDD to feed the fast & data hungry E8500.

How many processes does Task Manager show running?
You probably have unnecessary programs/processes running that you could shut down if you wanted.

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Should I spend $45 and get 4 more gigs for 8gigs of ram total? Im willing to do it if it'd help.

There's 45 running. I just built it last night, installed 4 games & thats it... I dont know why there's so many proc. running. My computer isnt slow at all, I was just curious why my ram usage is staying at a steady 27-28%... It's Vista isnt it?

jlvitt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
vista uses about 1gig of ram to operate smoothly

so a fluctuation of ram usage from 20-30% should be expected.

The amount of RAM Vista uses to operate smoothly depends on the amount of installed RAM and which version (32/64bit) is being used. There are also differences between Vista Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate.

014_chart_memusage_swap.png

Anything above those amounts is often related to other programs & processes. (like AV & Anti-Spyware programs)
Turning off SuperFetch will increase the amount of "free RAM" but will also probably result in a slower PC. Why pay for RAM that's not being used?

jlvitt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
if you look at those statistics anyone who has over the recommended (not required) amount of ram in a system falls into the range or near it of my 20-30%