[WHFB] Welvsies

From dakkadakka.

--
Joakim

jockelinde <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message news:<slrnd3pah9.dl3.nouser@crux.id.gu.se>...
> From dakkadakka.
>
> Therion wrote:
>
> > I gathered some Wood Elf rumours here, from a variety of sources,
> > including Conflict: London. Some of them are new, some are not.
> >
> > Graham McNeill's new novel will be released around the same time as
> > the new Wood Elf models and army book.

So...?

It's about a Bretonnian
> > Knight that loses his wife to a nasty Dryad, and quests into Athel
> > Loren to find out what has happened. Loren forest is a dark and
> > dangerous place, and the Elves basically try to keep the chaotic
> > forest creatures from harming humans.

Doesn't sound very WElfy to me - WE always seem to want to kill anyone
who trespasses into their forest.

Orion and Ariel have sold
> > their souls to some entity or Daemon, a dark heart of the woods,

? This just sounds stupid.

> > Dryads are seriously nerfed, as they are the main core choice for
> > the forest spirits army. I'm talking about S3

Bad.

T4 and a 5+ ward save,

As now.

> > and no skirmish

So they get to fight in ranks as a proper close combat unit? Not bad.
S3, T4, 5+ save, eh? So WE basically have Orc Boyz with ward saves to
do their fighting for them? With a (major) price cut this gives them a
distinctive role and they no longer have to try competing with more
efficient Wardancers.

> and no aspects.

*shrug* Orcs don't get those either. A bit of a shame since it was a
characteristic feature of Dryads past, but it's too involved for a
Core choice.

> > There is no ranged negative modifier for moving and shooting, and I
> > believe Archers have S4 in short range, and skirmish.

Bloody hell. And I was just thinking they should cost 12pts and be
able to buy skirmish for 1ppm. What about the -1 for long range? Is
that back (with the rest of this, it certainly should be)?

It could also
> > be just armour piercing though.

That's a bit more reasonable - WE Archers certainly aren't
underpowered as they are now, with just armour piercing. Higher
strength is good, but on the commonest troops in the army and with a
range of 15" and BS 4 it's probably over the top.

Graham McNeill said that the designers
> > have decided the issue, but he couldn't remember whether they went
> > with S4 at close range or just armour piercing. A rumour has also
> > been circling that they just might have given all Archers killing blow
> > at short range, instead of either of the previous.

Too much reliance on chance - it would work, but I'd rather have the
blanket +1S or -1Sv.

> > Wood Elves definately have their own lore of magic. New Treeman
> > model is 'about the size of a Shaggoth'.

If the model's as good as the Shaggoth, all well and good.

Ogre type Treemen can be taken
> > as special choices.

Interesting. Any idea what the new unit will be called?

> > Glade Riders are in the book, but they ride horses.

Well, yes. You didn't misinterpret the name and expect them to ride
glades, did you?

Apparently the
> > 'elk' is only a mount for characters.

Not surprising; otherwise they'd have to make plastic Elk. Not overly
keen on the idea even so, though I could see a White Hart due to its
connection with European forest folklore.

> > Archers and Glade Guard come in one plastic box.

Still don't think it will work, but we can hope. In any case, with GW
eager to give every race a Battalion, shouldn't they be aiming for 3-4
plastic sets for the Wood Elves?

The Green Dragon
> > doesn't get a new model, but two new riders. It has been said that
> > the Wood Elf plastic box is the most detailed kit GW has made yet,

*shrug* I heard the same about the Bret Archers, and was underwhelmed
- certainly those are no better-detailed than Empire Militia (then
again, how much more detail do you need at this scale than you find on
Empire Militia).

> > and all
> > of the poses will be very dynamic (kneeling archers etc) since WE
> > skirmish.

All four of them. So we'll get kneeling Glade Guard, presumably -
maybe GW didn't think this through.

> There will be foliage and scrubs and whatnot in the box.

Hey, a terrain set as well as a regiment!

> > The Eternal Guard is a rare choice unit, to match the Black and
> > Phoenix Guard.

Good.

The statline is the usual one, and they are armed
> > with heavy armour, shield and 'staffsword'. The staffsword can be
> > used as two hand weapons, a hand weapon, or a spear, and the first
> > and the second rank don't have to use it in the same way.

That's odd. Is this a weapon with an actual Celtic basis or not? I'm
guessing not. How do saves work if you're using the front rank with a
hand weapon and shield or two hand weapons, and the second rank uses
spears? When all's said and done I'd rather have a halberd than Glade
Guard with better saves, which these seem to amount to.

So you can
> > get 3+ armour save for the unit and still hit with spears from the
> > second rank, and according to a rumour you can switch styles between
> > rounds.
> > Sounds cool and all, but I'm expecting them to cost 15 or 16 points,
> > which makes them still incredibly hard to use.

For spearmen, very. In line with Phoenix Guard, assuming their
staffsword rules are deemed equivalent to fear, they should be 14pts,
and PG are a little too pricey to use.

> > The army deal is out in the beginning of August.

Hope I have some money then if the models are any good.

Philip Bowles

You left out the big one: Waywatchers have Killing Blow with their
bows.
-Erik