[SOLVED] Which 3080 is "safe" to get?

Manixo

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Hi,

I'm looking for an RTX 3080 (I know there's a long wait time..) but I heard the "issue" with the caps (SP-CAPS & MLCC).

I know it has been fixed with the drivers, but I'd still rather not buy one with the bad kind of caps just to be safe. Which of the following cards will be best to get in this case?

• Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
  • MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
  • Asus TUF RTX 3080 (longest wait time)
I was mainly looking at the MSI & Gigabyte, the Gigabyte has the smallest queue (which might not mean a lot) but is only 10€ cheaper than the MSI. Is it maybe worth it to wait longer for the MSI card?

Solution
Personally I'm a big fan of EVGA. Most of the cards I have I've bought from Ebay, and the 3 year warranty is transferable. Of the cards I've gotten in the last 3 yrs: 780 Ti, 980 Tix2, 1080 Ti x3, 2080 Ti x 4. On =e of the 1080's failed a few months back, and EVGA replaced it with few if any questions asked. I use my cards for graphic rendering rather than for games. My next card will be a 3090, but I'll wait maybe 6 months for the prices to come down. Virtually impossible to get one new from the EVGA site, and the mark up on Ebay is around $500 making a typical price around 2000. It's just not worth it. But in 6 or so months I hope the price drops under 1500

jblackmd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2018
Personally I'm a big fan of EVGA. Most of the cards I have I've bought from Ebay, and the 3 year warranty is transferable. Of the cards I've gotten in the last 3 yrs: 780 Ti, 980 Tix2, 1080 Ti x3, 2080 Ti x 4. On =e of the 1080's failed a few months back, and EVGA replaced it with few if any questions asked. I use my cards for graphic rendering rather than for games. My next card will be a 3090, but I'll wait maybe 6 months for the prices to come down. Virtually impossible to get one new from the EVGA site, and the mark up on Ebay is around $500 making a typical price around 2000. It's just not worth it. But in 6 or so months I hope the price drops under 1500

Solution

Manixo

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
right now you will be lucky if you can buy one, of any brand... unfortunately.

The Gigabyte Gaming OC seems to be OK when it comes to delivery time here. The demand for this card seems very low around here for some reason.
But that makes me wonder... Is it a bad card that the demand for this one is so low?