Question Which 32" monitor should I get?

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
I'm looking for a budget 32" inch Freesync monitor that works with nvidia GPUs. I have a GTX 1060 3GB, so a 1080p monitor would be preferable.

I bought AOC C32G1, it's a 1080p 144hz VA curved monitor. Works great but has a terrible backlight issues. I see greyish blotches on the screen in very dark games.

I'm considering AOC Q3279VWFD8, from what I've seen it doesn't have extreme backlight blotches, but it's a 1440p monitor and I'm not sure my 1060 3GB is enough for this.

Should I buy the 1440p monitor, play at 1080p for now and accept lower picture clarity? Or should I keep the 1080p monitor and accept the blotches on the screen?

Or are there any other 32" 1080p freesync monitors on the market that don't suffer from massive backlight issues?

You won't get great pictures with a TN, you need IPS or better VA screens
But you say you are on a budget - so I doubt you can get an IPS
The main problem you have, is you are using a 32" screen for gaming, and unless you are about 1m-2m from it, its going to be a bit weird to look at and seem blotchy.

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
You won't get great pictures with a TN, you need IPS or better VA screens
But you say you are on a budget - so I doubt you can get an IPS
The main problem you have, is you are using a 32" screen for gaming, and unless you are about 1m-2m from it, its going to be a bit weird to look at and seem blotchy.

I'm sitting about 1m away from the monitor. But the bloches AOC C32G1 creates will probably be visible from any distance if the room is dark. Here's what it looks like:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PWegi6yOfr9fFmG_ExjnWg-wv6EH0NeN

The AOC Q3279VWFD8 1440p monitor is actually an IPS panel, and only £200, that's why I'm considering it despite being 1440p.

Should I buy the 1440p monitor, play at 1080p for now and accept lower picture clarity?
You could also try running an ultrawide 2560x1080 resolution with letterboxing in games on that 1440p screen, though you might need to set up a custom resolution for that. That way, performance would be roughly in-between 1080p and 1440p, and while there would be black bars along the top on bottom due to the wider aspect ratio, pixels would remain 1-to-1, so you wouldn't experience additional blurriness from scaling 1920x1080 up to fill the screen. 1080p is arguably too low a resolution for a 32-inch screen viewed from a couple feet away, and I would rather have 1440p at that size.

As for the uneven backlighting on that current screen, is it even noticeable under normal usage conditions, or only when viewing a black screen in a dark room? Do you normally have a source of light in the room while gaming?

JoSTAR

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
You could try this monitor if you're looking for 1440p at this size and range.
IPS and freesync with a good value! You might have to look into the input lag of this badboy though if that matters.
Honestly you should be fine with a lot of titles at 1440p. Some games may require you to lower some settings or Anti Aliasing completely but for the most part a 1060 3GB can handle a lot of games at 1440p just fine. Just keep in mind it the 1060 is mainly meant for 1080p gaming so sacrifices will be necessary for 1440p to be stable.

Last edited:
One other thing worth pointing out are the refresh rates of these screens though. That 1080p AOC VA screen you have supports up to 144Hz, while either of those 1440p IPS screens only support up to 75Hz (and as a result likely have a much more limited FreeSync range at the low end as well).

Also, if you are in a dark room, keep in mind that VA panels, like the one you have, enable darker blacks which provides a wider contrast ratio, whereas IPS screens tend to glow a bit, giving more grayish blacks and lower contrast as a result, even if they can potentially be a bit better in some other ways. I suspect the uneven backlighting on your current panel is likely resulting from the curve, and from what I've heard that tends to be more common on curved displays.