Question Which 750w PSU should i buy??

Oct 2, 2021
I want a 750 w,80+ gold certified ATX PSU from a reputable and reliable brand and decided to go with any of these units-Corsair RM-x,RM-i, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 but unfortunately these are not available in my region.Few available units are:-
1.Adata xpg core reactor 750w
2.Corsair RM750
3. NZXT C750
Which of these PSUs should i buy ? Any other PSU recommendation is highly appreciated??

System specs are-
Intel Core i5-11400
Deepcool AS500 Plus
Gigabyte B560 AORUS PRO AX ATX
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
Samsung 970 Evo plus 500 GB NVME
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower case

I know a 750w PSU is overkill for my system but i am buying it for future-proofing. I also plan to get a decent Nvidia GPU when market stabilises.

DSzymborski

Titan
These are all excellent PSU and in Tier A of the curated PSU tier list we house here.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
i, personally, don't like CWT that much since CWT had no issues making junk PSUs, when PSU brands ask it from them.
Lol, what about Seasonic themselves having no issues selling junk PSUs outsourced to third party OEM ? Embrace for rant ...

CWT, just as many other OEMs have a wide variety of designs, if client asks them to make cheap PSU they will make a cheap PSU, if client asks them to not bother with validating it's performance and quality because that costs money - they will comply. But if client asks them to make a good PSU, to make sure that it's a good design, that it passes strict tests, that performance margins are tight, then the result most likely be a high quality and good performance PSU, like ADATA XPG Core Reactor and Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi or also be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 are. These are semi-custom designs made specifically for those brands following their requests and specifications, CWT also has a few reference designs some of which have proven themselves to be quite good.

Seasonic on the other hand currently has only two similar designs (with the potential addition of new platform behind EVGA G6/P6) and barely does any customization (with the sole exception of NZXT E) because they simply lack resources to do so. That wouldn't have been a problem if they would've made sure that their low-end offerings which they outsource because of the lack of production capacity to other OEMs - are also high quality, but they don't. Seasonic isn't what they were in the past, they may have pioneered a thing or two but now they can't offer anything other OEMs can't and in most cases, products by other OEMs in the same price bracket would actually be better in some, if not all aspects.

So in the end It's not about the brand or OEM, it's about the resulting product. Read reviews, not the name of the brand on the label.

@Phoenix_007 Out of these three considering your vague 'a decent nVidia GPU', i'd say go for ADATA or Corsair, which is cheaper (yes, Corsair uses cheaper caps but it's still 10 years warranty so they seem to be confident in their choice). NZXT is an option too if you don't aim at particularly high-end GPUs, like, for RTX3060/3070 it's fine, but with RTX3080/3090 i'd be wary (even disregarding wattage), Seasonic has a history of problems with high-transient GPUs. And even while the current Focus revision seem not to have such problems, it's not a given for the next gen ones. There's a potential fix tho even if you would buy Focus based PSU and you'll have problems - disabling 12V V-sense wire, but still i'd rather go for a PSU that works out of the box and doesn't need hack job to make it work.

Reactions: Phoenix_007

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Lol, what about Seasonic themselves having no issues selling junk PSUs outsourced to third party OEM ? Embrace for rant ...

In-house, Seasonic has never produced bad PSU. Same can't be said about CWT. Though, Seasonic is small, compared to CWT. Seasonic, yes, outsourced their S12III to RSY. Why they did that - i don't know. But that is just one PSU line. But when it comes to CWT and how much crap they have produced, well, you can fill a warehouse + then some with all the junk that has come out of CWT.

Seasonic on the other hand currently has only two similar designs (with the potential addition of new platform behind EVGA G6/P6) and barely does any customization (with the sole exception of NZXT E) because they simply lack resources to do so.

Or when the platform is solid, there's no need to mess it up with all the crazy requests PSU brands come up with.

If PSU OEM has specialized on few platforms, fine tuning them, making them solid and reliable, there is no need to murk the waters with dozens of different platforms, ranging from junk to good, like CWT does.
Also, Seasonic is the ONLY PSU OEM, who offers 12 years of warranty to their top-of-the-line PSU series: PRIME. No other PSU brand/OEM does that. At most, what you can get, is 10 years of warranty. So, if CWT is that great, why not offer 12 or 15 years of warranty? Why still offer 10 years of warranty?

I was messaged by OP, he queried which PSU he should buy among the 3:

1.Adata xpg core reactor 750w
2.Corsair RM750
3. NZXT C750

Would also suggest going for the NZXT C570 in that regard.
@ OP, PSU manufacturers usually outsource components from other manufacturers. Research which company they outsource their components and if it's found to be substandard, then avoid that model. PSU sellers then just slap their label on top of the PSU as part of rebranding.

Personally I find Corsair PSUs to be "the brand for the general public", its something that's easy to recommend without much thought since it is sort of mainstream (well at least in my area).

However the danger lies behind if they start outsourcing components like capacitors of substandard quality from questionable manufacturers like "Great Wall" PSU.
I also wouldn't rely too much on the warranty that the PSU manufacturers claim, but rather more on the quality of the component itself.
You can look detailed reviews of PSUs where they open up the PSU and inspect the components in websites such as:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-categories/psu-power-supply-units.html

Oct 2, 2021
Personally I find Corsair PSUs to be "the brand for the general public",
Yeah, Corsair is mainstream in my region too

I also wouldn't rely too much on the warranty that the PSU manufacturers claim, but rather more on the quality of the component itself.
i ll follow your advice regarding quality of components vs warranty periods

thanx 4 d reply...really appreciate it...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
In-house, Seasonic has never produced bad PSU.
How does that matter ?
yes, outsourced their S12III to RSY. Why they did that - i don't know. But that is just one PSU line
What about A12 ? B12 ? G12 ? S12II EVO ?
But when it comes to CWT and how much crap they have produced, well, you can fill a warehouse + then some with all the junk that has come out of CWT.
So if Seasonic sells junk under their own brand, regardless of whether it's outsourced or not it's fine, but if CWT - an actual OEM that has capacity to make whatever their clients ask them to make even if it's junk - that's no good ? I don't get your logic here.
PS: Also, Seasonic actually tried to create a budget brand a while ago - Hydance, but probably figured out that no-one in their mind would buy that <Mod Edit> so moved it under the main brand since surely, if it has Seasonic on the label that's a good product. XFX wasn't as bright and their XT/TS series using the same designs were a disaster, which probably was one of the things contributing to their downfall.
If PSU OEM has specialized on few platforms, fine tuning them, making them solid and reliable, there is no need to murk the waters with dozens of different platforms, ranging from junk to good, like CWT does.
Fine tuning as in sitting on the same stuff for several years and refusing to make customizations according to client's requests even if that actually would improve the product ? Seasonic simply lacks design and production capacity to have more than these two platforms on hands (and for customization too, evidently, judging by their unwillingness to do so), they don't have any budget stuff to offer so it's unknown whether they would've have actually started to make budget junk as CWT does if they could. But we do know that they still sell junk, even if they oursource it, because then people would say 'eh, it's not actually made by Seasonic so it doesn't matter', it does matter.
Also, Seasonic is the ONLY PSU OEM, who offers 12 years of warranty to their top-of-the-line PSU series: PRIME.
Which costs higher than comparable products from other OEMs including CWT so you're already paying more money for 2 years longer warranty. What's the point? Warranty is not a product of quality. CWT doesn't sell their designs directly, they have enough clients on their hands without getting into DIY market, what their clients do is on these clients. Also, it's not like it's a good idea to continue using 12-years old PSU in the first place, 10 years is already on the edge, and it's not just about capacitors aging. Like, it would've been good to have more PSUs with longer warranty but there are reasons why that doesn't happen, and it's not Seasonic superiority.
PS: And FIY, Seasonic PRIME Gold sub and including 750W are literally the same as Focus Gold except for different, non-Y-split cables, they literally just charging extra for the same product for raising the warranty by 2 years.
PSU manufacturers usually outsource components from other manufacturers. Research which company they outsource their components and if it's found to be substandard, then avoid that model. PSU sellers then just slap their label on top of the PSU as part of rebranding.
This is right attitude.
However the danger lies behind if they start outsourcing components like capacitors of substandard quality from questionable manufacturers like "Great Wall" PSU
This is not. Anything i've said about CWT applies to Great Wall too, they're a very big OEM, way bigger than Seasonic, it's only natural that they have more options for their clients, if you ask them to make junk they will make junk, if you ask them to make a good PSU they will make a good PSU. Although it's always good to have another layer of QC control, like Corsair actually does. Or like Antec and EVGA doesn't. Regardless of the OEM.
PS: In essence, what you people are saying is 'Seasonic and Super Flower PSUs are better than CWT and Great Wall because they're smaller'. Their PSUs are good for the most part because they focus on mid/high-end market and you gotta make something even remotely good to sell something there. They don't have bad PSUs because they simply don't have resources to focus on budget market too. But that neither means that bigger OEMs can't make good PSUs, nor it means that smaller OEMs would only come up with good designs. It's all about the each specific resulting product.

So read reviews - yes, but don't just stop at "OEM : Seasonic" and assume that it's good, or bad if it's Great Wall or smth. And don't assume that the product would be good if other products of this brand were if there are no actual reviews on this specific product you're looking at. True for any brand really, but say, EVGA (and recently, Antec too) is especially guilty of just throwing random stuff at the wall hoping that something sticks. Super Flower-made unit did stick, most of the rest of EVGA offerings are either junk or there are zero reviews to say anything about them. If there are no review on a PSU then it should be assumed junk by default regardless of the brand or OEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the ideal scenario is: you look at reviews of the PSU, examine its components, etc.

But however, what about the scenario of "If you ask them to make a good PSU" but they "make a junk PSU"? :) or some OEMs cut corners?

Example: Gigabyte exploding PSU fiasco
Even more tricky, this review found out that different components are being used for the same model of PSU. Did Gigabyte ask the manufacturer to make this PSU a crappy PSU? Is this some form of OEM cutting corners? or due to material shortage? But they never notified the consumers who bought it that different components are being used for the same model of PSU? We'll never know for sure but that's not my point. It certainly is a form of deception because each PSU is expected to be exactly the same but inside it isn't.

What are the chances of someone who has used a Gigabyte PSU but blew his high end GPU due to it and will be willing to use another PSU from Gigabyte?

Consumers tend to be brand biased based on past performance, most especially if they had a harrowing experience they already had from that brand. Even if you tell them to give every PSU brand an equal chance again (which is the ideal scenario) by researching deep onto the model, its reviews, its specs, etc., deep inside they have an inner preference or bias - albeit they'll never admit it to you flat out. That bias can especially be drastic if they have a bad experience with that brand/model.

It is more likely the next time a person who is shopping for a Gigabyte PSU will definitely be wary of such, or avoid it at his discretion, especially if it took out his expensive GPU at the time of this global pandemic and global chip shortage. Considering how scarce high end GPUs are nowadays, brand bias will definitely come into play. There are some people who can't afford to risk it. Brand bias is definitely not an ideal metric to use to judge a PSU, but it can definitely change someone's perspective of the future offerings that the brand gives. I do also think that a brand should prove their worth for your hard earned money and patronage with a solid track record, not the other way around. That's my 2 cents and I'll leave it at there.

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
But however, what about the scenario of "If you ask them to make a good PSU" but they "make a junk PSU"? :) or some OEMs cut corners?
That's why you actually need to make sure that it isn't junk, to formulate how exactly not junk it should be in your request. Not just grab a design off the shelf, slap a label on it and sell it. Because no OEM is error proof.
Even more tricky, this review found out that different components are being used for the same model of PSU. Did Gigabyte ask the manufacturer to make this PSU a crappy PSU? Is this some form of OEM cutting corners? or due to material shortage? But they never notified the consumers who bought it that different components are being used for the same model of PSU? We'll never know for sure but that's not my point. It certainly is a form of deception because each PSU is expected to be exactly the same but inside it isn't.
Because Gigabyte didn't care. The reason actually likely wasn't in the components changes themselves, it's that MEIC did a subpar job in adapting the design to them, and Gigabyte didn't care to double check. Component swaps happen constantly, with the recent pandemic and components shortages especially, but so far only Gigabyte fell victim to that to such catastrophic degree. CWT-made Corsair PSUs didn't, because Jon works his butt off fixing <Mod Edit>. And Corsair actually had some problems (not nearly as major as with Gigabyte P-GM) with 'component-swaps' (in reality just routing rotations due to shortages), which they handled well, publishing reports and providing RMA for affected units before the public outcry forces them to do so.
Consumers tend to be brand biased based on past performance, most especially if they had a harrowing experience they already had from that brand. Even if you tell them to give every PSU brand an equal chance again (which is the ideal scenario) by researching deep onto the model, its reviews, its specs, etc., deep inside they have an inner preference or bias - albeit they'll never admit it to you flat out. That bias can especially be drastic if they have a bad experience with that brand/model.
Exactly, and that's wrong on multiple levels, not just with PSUs. And i'm tired of repeating that. Thankfully, GN now says the same thing, hopefully people would listen.
There are of course brands that should not be considered or at least those you should be very wary of, especially if you can't find reviews on most of their stuff (hello EVGA). And for me - Gigabyte is one of them, not because the issue with P-GM, but because of how they handled it - refusing the existence of it, trying to normalize PSUs blowing up under testing and not taking blame. But that doesn't mean that there should be a list of proven/reputable brands who you can just buy random stuff of without looking deeper, not how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2021
So read reviews - yes, but don't just stop at "OEM : Seasonic" and assume that it's good, or bad if it's Great Wall or smth. And don't assume that the product would be good if other products of this brand were if there are no actual reviews on this specific product you're looking at. True for any brand really,

I do also think that a brand should prove their worth for your hard earned money and patronage with a solid track record, not the other way around. That's my 2 cents and I'll leave it at there.

that’s really great advice to all...

Because Gigabyte didn't care.

Replacing faulty PSU is the company’s obligation when they claim to give warranty for n years but some companies just don’t care...

TRENDING THREADS