which 939 boards are going to support AMD64 X2?

As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
chip?

TIA

M.

M. Parsons wrote:
> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
> chip?
>
> TIA
>
> M.

If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified,
theoretically all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a
BIOS upgrade.

-Rick

"M. Parsons" <novalidemail@configuredforthismachine.ca> wrote in message
> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
> chip?
>
> TIA

AMD have the GA-K8NXP-9 and SLI boards listed as compatiable, with BIOS
upgrade.

Rick M. wrote:
> M. Parsons wrote:
>
>> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the
>> X2 chip?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> M.
>

> If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified,
> theoretically all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a
> BIOS upgrade.
>

> -Rick

Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
s939 owners are going to get screwed over?

> Rick M. wrote:
>> M. Parsons wrote:
>>
>>> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
>>> chip?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> M.
>>

>> If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified, theoretically
>> all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a BIOS upgrade.
>>

>> -Rick
>
> Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
> s939 owners are going to get screwed over?

even if the 'could' would they?

M. Parsons wrote:

>> If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified,
>> theoretically all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a
>> BIOS upgrade.
>>

>> -Rick
>

> Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
> s939 owners are going to get screwed over?

Mmmm...... Being a nForce3/s939 owner myself, I too am wondering if a
BIOS upgrade will be made available for my GA-K8NS-Ultra 939 that
supports X2 processors, however I'm not stressing out over it simply
because I intend to go to a San Diego core on this mobo anyway. The way
I figure it, the last mobo I want to stick an X2 proc in is an AGP/PCI
mobo, and I'll probably go to a newer nforce4/PCIe mobo anyway. I
mean, if we're talking an $800+ processor, what's the big deal with a
new mobo? Of course, I already planned to sell this system off to a
friend who is a Protools reseller who needs a new demo system anyway.

-Rick

"I don't sell *used* hardware. I sell only *preconditioned/pretested*
hardware"

ChangeGuy wrote:

>>>If Gigabyte designed their 939 mobos the way AMD specified, theoretically
>>>all of them should be able to run X2 processors with a BIOS upgrade.
>>>

>>>-Rick
>>
>>Am I just being pessimistic, or does that sound like the 'older' nforce3
>>s939 owners are going to get screwed over?
>

> even if the 'could' would they?

Well, let me put it this way. I recently emailed Gigabyte to see if
they were going to provide a BIOS upgrade for my mobo which supports
Venice/San Diego cores. Their response wasn't the most reasurring, but
they did state they had their BIOS engineer looking into it. 4 days
later they actually did release a BIOS update. So far, they seem to be
offering decent support for their 939 mobos, although they don't seem to
be as quick to make public announcements of their intentions to do so
like Asus or MSI. This tends to make some people a little nervous, but
AFAICS, they do seem to support their mobos rather well.

-Rick

anonymoose

I have a K8NS Ultra 939 and I emailed Gigabyte directly on this and here (
as I quote ) was their reply: "Our technicians working on a bios revision
which will make your board compatible with upcoming x2 chips."

"M. Parsons" <novalidemail@configuredforthismachine.ca> wrote in message
> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
> chip?
>
> TIA
>
> M.

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

M. Parsons wrote:
> As the topic says, which gigabyte s939 boards are going to suport the X2
> chip?
>
> TIA
>
> M.
On the olther hand, just think how "cheap" regular Athlon64 CPUs will
get once the X2 hits its retail stride. The Athlon64 have dropped
precipitously since their introduction last year. Even with 1 core, its
no slouch in performance. I plan to pick up the "last" and fastest
Athlon64 when the price plummets.

And also build a X2 system with pci-e then just for the hell of it! ;-)