Which ATA100 drive should i choose?

psuman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am interesting in buying a new ATA-100, 7200 rpm HDD, between 10-20 GB. Which manufacturer would you all recommend? I like western digital, but they don't quite have the selection of drives i would like. Are seagate, maxtor, and even IBM drives as reliable? Also, what are their warranty policies? I know western digital has a great policy. Any insight into my question is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Western Digital is aimed at the bargain hunter. They are good drives but IBM and Maxtor are better.
IBM makes the components for most hard drives--they invented the technology that makes the large capacity drives possible.
Maxtor claimes it improves on IBM but they are still using IBM components.
For your specs you should look for:
IBM Deskstar 75GXP Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 45 Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM
I don't know if any other HD makers are making drives with these specs. I have built two systems, one with each of the above drives at 15GB and have not noticed any difference between them.

James

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IMHO, IBM drives are the best out there. I've got a 46GB 75GXP series. They are the fastest IDE drives on the market, very quiet, but slightly more expensive. You won't regret buying one.

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go for the IBM. The 75GXP series is awesome and comes in 15, 30, 45, 60, and 75 gig varieties I believe. I will NEVER buy a western digital. I have seen something like 5 WD drives crash at home. Maxtor is very reliable. Never had one die on me. But IBM is currently the fastest and best overall.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ive been shopping for new HDs for months, trying to decide between SCSI and IDE, and was waiting for the stats to come out on the 75 GXP models from IBM, when they finally were released and then had some benchmark tests done on them, i was truly impressed. Definately go for the IBM, they arent even much more expensive than competitors anymore. Try Buy.com for some good prices, or goto www.pricewatch.com to find out just how low you can go...if i dont go SCSI, ill most likely be buying 2 45 gig 75GXP models, which at www.accubyte.com if you mention pricewatch you can get for $187 each.

G

really dumb question: i'm about to buy a couple of 75GXP drives and I have an ABIT K7T -RAID system... do any IDE drives support the RAID functions on the board?

G

do not use Maxtor ..they are slow and sucks
they belong in the crapper ..flushed down deeply
I have had 2 ..both crashed.
seagate rules or quantum