Which Brand of ATI 4870 is good?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xTalent

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
XFX is new to ATI Products, Sapphire is trusted with ATI products, I'd go with either, HIS is also good but I believe do not offer a lifetime warranty on there 4 series ATI Graphic Cards.

Basically after you make the choice of what Video Card you want it all falls down to the cooler on the graphics card and the features the manufacturer has added.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I just built a PC with a HIS 4870 1 Gig and it runs really cool and quite. Under heavy load (3D Mark Vantage) it was running around 65-70c and the fan was only running 24% (which is hardly audible).

Embra

Distinguished
I have been following this topic, being that I am also in the market for a new card. I have decided on the Sapphire Toxic. Better value for me I think. I just wanted to thank you all for the good advice. ;) :)

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
You still effectively have only as much ram as a single card has. But, then you have two GPUs to do the processing. It will still kick arse with two 512 cards. Just not as much as 2 1 gig cards.

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I got myself an ati radeon HD 4870 directly manufacture by ati radeon premioum graphics. got the 1 gb gddr5, it seems to always running around 80 degrees celcius. what is it supposed to be running at normally. all factory setting never unlcoked to be overclocked under ati overdirve. oh and I paid 224 plus tax up here in toronto canada. original 324 plus tax. cdn funds. Best Buy price matched it to an saphire since it said ati radeon HD 4870. lol I just paid and ran. it came with a diamond cd in it.(drivers and the software that it came with on it) I guess it is a diamond radeon since of the side markings on the box and address diamond multimedia

I just wanted to know what is the right temperature for it.
it runs farcry 2 nicely on my 52" sharp aquos at 1280 x 1024. I have tried it on 1920 x 1080. but things are just to small on a big screen.

June 10 2009