Which Browser Should You Be Running On Your iPad And iPhone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gamecube

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]I started with tablets due to the Internet connection. Studies show that tablets, unlike smartphones, are used overwhelmingly on WiFi connections as opposed to mobile data. Plus, mobile data varies too much. Whatever numbers I get here won't necessarily translate in San Fran or NYC, or even to another provider were I am.I'll probably include Ubuntu in a Windows-based WBGP sometime down the line, that won't be for a while though. Android is next, and Windows 8 is probably more important to most readers than Ubuntu right now.[/citation]

I understand that the connection won't be the same in San Francisco and New York but if a browser is faster on Wi-Fi, it should be faster on the same 3G / 4G connection.

Windows 8 is definitely the most important and you still have 6 months until the next Ubuntu version. Thanks for replying and looking forward for other reviews (the reason why I created this account :))

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Never realized that all the browsers for iOS have to run the stock safari engine. And that the reason why Skyfire is able to do so much more is that it's run from a proxy server. Learned many other things as well. Thanks for the informative article Tom's. Now I'm really looking for the Android grand prix as I'm running about 5 different browsers on my Nexus 7 right now, trying to decide which I like.

Folks can complain all they want about Apple's locking down, but they should also take into account Apple's application-vetting and know about just how susceptible in comparison Android is to malware and viruses. Android is a much easier target especially with their 'application freedom' and the cost is high:

Android Most Targeted By Mobile Viruses - http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2012/03/android-most-targeted-by-mobile-viruses/

Android Malware Grew 3,000 Percent in 2011: Report - http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Android-Malware-Grew-3000-Percent-in-2011-Report-575050/

Mobile Malware Evolution - http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/204792222/Mobile_Malware_Evolution_Part_5

G

So why did microsoft get sued years ago for trying to be the only browser choice on windows by pushing netscape out. But its ok for apple to do this with safari. Can someone explain that one? Not that I'm a big IE fan but shouldnt everyone have to play by the same rules?

G

@blackened144

Not really. Some of us don't care about Apple's halfwit points of view and don't bother to scream about. We vote with our money. And with 75% market share, Android seems to be the mobile OS of choice. So who cares who hates Apple. In the end, they are not the platform of choice and for many glaring reasons. Really is that simple.

mcnamee02

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Is there a similar article for Android? The browser competition on Android is getting pretty crazy, with everyone using their own engine (Dolphin, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and others). It would be neat to see how they tested out in this format.

gamecube

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
[citation][nom]mcnamee02[/nom]Is there a similar article for Android? The browser competition on Android is getting pretty crazy, with everyone using their own engine (Dolphin, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and others). It would be neat to see how they tested out in this format.[/citation]

One month later and still no Android article. This iOS grand prix was lame, obviously Safari would be the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.