[SOLVED] Which cable do I need for Dual Monitor??

Feb 15, 2019
Hey! I usually have a single monitor but i found i spare monitor that i had.
I wanted to make a dual monitor setup but my GPU has only one HDMI slot, both monitors have HDMI so i thought if i bought a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter tha it would work but it didn't.
So I found a Cable that is DisplayPort on one end and HDMI on the other. But there are two cables the one is Male-DisplayPort Female-HDMI and the other is the opposite (Male-HDMI Female-DisplayPort) which one will I need to make the dual monitor setup work.

And what's the difference (I'm just curious)

Solution
Ah, sorry.

Either displayport to HDMI or DVI to HDMI. Doesn't matter which. As far as gender, all you'd need to do is look at the connectors on your graphics card and display to see what sort you'd need for it to work. You'd need male to male.

Aflyxxn

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Hey! I usually have a single monitor but i found i spare monitor that i had.
I wanted to make a dual monitor setup but my GPU has only one HDMI slot, both monitors have HDMI so i thought if i bought a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter tha it would work but it didn't.
So I found a Cable that is DisplayPort on one end and HDMI on the other. But there are two cables the one is Male-DisplayPort Female-HDMI and the other is the opposite (Male-HDMI Female-DisplayPort) which one will I need to make the dual monitor setup work.

And what's the difference (I'm just curious)

I understand your monitor has 1 HDMI port, does it have DVI? if not you can buy this Amazon - Dual HDMI

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The only display connector your graphics card has is a single HDMI? That would be very unusual. But if that's the case, the only ways you could do dual monitor would be:

1. Get an external USB display adapter.
  2. Get an HDMI splitter. Both monitors would display the same image in this case.

Feb 15, 2019
The only display connector your graphics card has is a single HDMI? That would be very unusual. But if that's the case, the only ways you could do dual monitor would be:

1. Get an external USB display adapter.
  2. Get an HDMI splitter. Both monitors would display the same image in this case.
No the GPU has HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI but the second monitor has only HDMI and VGA.
i can't use the HDMI port because my main monitor is connected with HDMI so tha leaves me with a DisplayPort and a DVI slot but the second monitor has only HDMI and VGA that's why I'm asking what adapter do a need

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ah, sorry.

Either displayport to HDMI or DVI to HDMI. Doesn't matter which. As far as gender, all you'd need to do is look at the connectors on your graphics card and display to see what sort you'd need for it to work. You'd need male to male.

Last edited:
Solution