Which cables for comparing two monitors?

pc-twitchy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I'm running W7 Ultimate on an i5, 16G computer.

My GFX card is a Gigabyte 4G GTX960.

My monitor was (for 2 years) a 16:10 Asus PA248Q. It's still in full working order.

I've just replaced it with a Dell Ultrasharp U2415 (also 16:10) because a secondary computer needs a better monitor.

I'm not convinced I've made the right move by adding the Dell to my main PC (the most important) so I want to add the Asus to the current setup so that I can directly compare the two monitors.

The Gigabyte 4G GTX960 will run both monitors (or so I've read)
Its out-ports are: 1xDP, 1xHDMI, 1xDVI-I Dual, 1xDVI-D Dual.

The Dell U2415 is currently connected to the GFX card via the large DP (The Dell also has a mini-DP).

So, to add the Asus PA248Q to the mix, my question is:

To which port on the card should I connect the Asus?

The card's single DP port is already in use by the Dell.

Unless I buy more cables, I have two possible connection methods: Via DVI-D to DVI-D cable, or HDMI.

I don't want to 'disadvantage' the Asus in this test by connecting it to a port that might limit its qualities.

So, should I connect it by HDMI or DVI-D?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Much appreciated :)

Oct 8, 2018

hi there mr twitchy i dont know if u r aware as most people, seem too be ignorant of the capabilities and bandwiths of the respective display interfaces dvi - has almost as high a bandwidth as display port but u can use display port for both monitors with out introduction a completely different interface into the mix you can daisy chain display port monitors together it is the only mainstream graphical connection that u can do that with plug your dell too the gpu and plug asus into your displayport out, on your dell monitor if u dont know which is the displayport, out consult the user manual for dell I beleve only 1 of the ports on the dell will act as and output aswell as an input.
hope this helps and sorry about the grammar and spelling ( or lack thereof lol ) i write fast and dont spellcheck lol

pc-twitchy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Thanks, Pete101, excellent answer.
It's said that brevity is the soul of wit: It's also a great template for technical explanations :)

Thanks. When a question only requires a simple answer, that's what you'll get :)

pc-twitchy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
LOL, cheers.

BTW, a heads-up. I couldn't get the DIV-D cable to work. I'm guessing it's because it's a 'DVI-D Single', not 'Dual'.

So, to use what I had on hand, I patched-in the Asus PA248Q with an HDMI 1.3 cable.

Seems to work OK and enabled me to do a side by side comparison of the two monitors.

Ok. A DVI-D single will max out at 60hz 1920x1200, so probably why it didn't work.

I would've told you to use the HDMI too......you didn't happen to call it VGA originally then edited your post? :)

pc-twitchy

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
LOL, you spotted my edit. Yes, I changed my post, but only because I'd said the GFX card had a VGA port. It doesn't, of course.

Re the DVI-D cable, I'm not familiar with that family - never used one, in fact. So I hadn't thought to mention it was a 'single' and not a 'dual'.

Anyway, I managed to set up the monitors side by side, which allowed me make a more informed decision about which one to use where.

Thanks again :)