which card for me?

G

hi there, i have an AMD k62 550 with 256 MB ram running windows 2000 pro. im looking for a new card that'll let me play unreal tourney and qIII decently enough for 100 bucks or so. Any suggestions??? Thanks in advance

G

why the pci version?? i have an agp slot now thats holding a monster fusion (banshee), but it doesnt seem to work well under win2k

KranitzL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ive got a PCI banshee, and its not so bad with Tourney. But, it doesnt seem to want to work with homeworld... My AGP is 1-2X, and i was thinkin about a voodoo 5000 or 5500, as soon as i get the $$$. The 3000 is spose to be ancient now, but its still a good card. Oh, and do you ever get a tearing or flashing at the bottom of your screen? Ive found of i turn sync to refresh on, it does some weird things in Midtown Madness or ST Starfleet command..

G

I have never experienced the flashing. I have the 3000 PCI in one of my machines running a K62-500 and a 5500 AGP in my P3 800. The 5500 is amazing. Best card (including the Annihilator2 and the Prophet MX which I also have had) that I have had. FSAA is incredible. I suggested the PCI version of the 3000 as compatibility is better and most reviews say that the difference between the PCI and the AGP version is 1-2 FPS at most under the same conditions.

KranitzL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, the reason i wanted AGP, is that it frees up a PCI slot, and i have 4-5 of mine full, Network card, Modem, Video card, and sound card. oh, and an AGP card's bios isnt flashable, is it? I know the AGP ver of the Monster Fusion isnt.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by KranitzL on 11/30/00 03:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>