Which card should I upgrade for most value/performance?

Lukis

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Hi.

So I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU. I currently have a GTX 780, which is a great card, I know that, but with all the new games coming out, it''s having its troubles holding up. So I'm kind of in a dilemma; which card should I upgrade to, to get the highest increase in performance? I'm thinking of getting an MSI GTX 980, but on the other hand I have the chance to get an EVGA GTX Titan 6GB at a great price, but I'm pretty sure I won't see any increase in performance there. Not that much to justify an upgrade from the 780 at least.

So, do you have any suggestions? The only requirement is pretty much that it's Nvidia, and outperforms the 780 somewhat significantly.

Thanks!

LightSwordM

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
First, what resolution are you playing at? Second, don't ever get the Titan 6GB, the performance increase will be pretty insignificant. If you really want some outstanding performance though, get the 980Ti, or if you are willing to switch to the AMD side, get the Fury X if your case can handle it, which will result in a pretty significant performance increase depending on the resolution.

If you're playing at 1080p resolution, then you could get another GTX 780 for SLI if your PSU is good enough and if your build could support it. Another option is the GTX 980 Ti or Fury X. If you get the GTX 980 Ti, then you could either sell the GTX 780 or use it as a PhysX card.

As a 780 owner I find myself thinking the same, what's next? I have decided sli is a bad idea, even though I game at 1080p I have hit the 3gb limit and know of other games that can, this issue I expect to become more frequent in the future. Looking at the 970 and 980 the jump in performance is not that significant considering the cost and I would only get an extra 1gb vram. Therefore I have decided the 980Ti is the way to go, its overkill for today's games at 1080p but should allow me to max games for hopefully 2 years or more at 60 fps, it also gives me the option of upgrading to a 1440p monitor and maintaining 60 fps at very high settings.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
The only real option for upgrading over a 780 is a 980 Ti (to get a decent bump in performance).
Fury X when it comes out is another option, but really, you'd need a 4K monitor to really see a good improvement.

*Edit- I should say, 980 Ti *or* 980. Both will provide enough of a bump in performance, but the Ti is going to be more noticeable.

Lukis

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Thank you for all your suggestions, and yes, I have indeed considered the 980ti, it's just a little out of my price range at t his moment, so I'd have so save up for that. It sounds like that's the way to go. Also, I have considered running another 780 in SLI, but my motherboard doesn't support it, and it seems like to one (not in Denmark at least) is selling the 780 anymore.

I think I might save up for a 980ti, or maybe sell my 780, then I'll most likely have the money.