[SOLVED] Which case fan should I get for an high end system?

Aug 12, 2020
I have I5 10600k, RTX 2080ti
Currently I have 3 intake fans at the front of the case, and one exhaust at the rear.

I want to add a better rear exhaust fan and move the current one to the top of the case.

How is this fan Arctic BioniX P120 PWM 120mm?, I've seen that this one and Corsair ML120mm have the same results.

Solution
Improve the airflow... yes.
Noctua makes good fans.
But, 80c. is a normal operating temperature for a graphics card.
With higher cooling airflow over it, you are still going to see 80c. The difference is that the graphics card cooling fans will not need to run as fast.

Run a simple cpu stress test with the cpu-Z bench tab.
Also run HWmonitor. If you see something like 85c. max . for the cpu, you are ok.
What is the make/model of your case and cpu cooler?
Do you have any sort of a cooling issue that needs fixing.

My guess is that you should leave things well enough alone.
Three front intakes will draw in plenty of cooling air.
The single exhaust fan serves to direct the airflow past the graphics card and cpu cooler.
Adding a top exhaust is likely to divert some of that cooling airflow directly to the top without doing any graphics/motherboard/cpu cooling.

Aug 12, 2020
What is the make/model of your case and cpu cooler?
Do you have any sort of a cooling issue that needs fixing.

My guess is that you should leave things well enough alone.
Three front intakes will draw in plenty of cooling air.
The single exhaust fan serves to direct the airflow past the graphics card and cpu cooler.
Adding a top exhaust is likely to divert some of that cooling airflow directly to the top without doing any graphics/motherboard/cpu cooling.

My case is Sharkoon TG 6,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22WJtWAALYk

the CPU cooler is corsair a500. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ling/A500-Dual-Fan-CPU-Cooler/p/CT-9010003-WW

I do have a huge issue in regarding to heat, the GPU heats up to 80+C in 10-20 minutes

PS I don't think it will interfere with the cold air due to placing the top fan at the far end of the case.

Graphics cards run hot, but they are designed to tolerate heat.
The way things work is that the graphics card targets a certain max operating temperature, commonly 80c. and runs as fast as it can, keeping that target temperature.
In the process, the card cooling fans may spin up and get loud.
No damage happens at 80c.
I do not think you have a problem there.

Air to cool the cpu and gpu comes in the front.
Pressure may build up in the case a bit, but eventually all of that intake air will exit the case taking component heat with it.
How are your cpu temperatures?
Your cooler looks to be a good one.
If your cooler is mounted well, you should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
If you have overclocked, a stress test should be kept under 85c.
CPU-Z stress test is an easy one to run.
Run HWmonitor.
It should give you current,min and max temperatures as well as fan speeds.

About the only fix for more cooling would be to replace the front intakes with higher rpm fans.
That would be a shame since you bought the case for the RGB looks.
I suppose that replacing the rear exhaust fan with a stronger higher rpm fan would help some.
If you are inclined to buy another fan, Buy one with higher airflow than your current unit and put it in the rear.
See how you do,
Then, see if the original fan mounted in the top helps any.

Aug 12, 2020
Graphics cards run hot, but they are designed to tolerate heat.
The way things work is that the graphics card targets a certain max operating temperature, commonly 80c. and runs as fast as it can, keeping that target temperature.
In the process, the card cooling fans may spin up and get loud.
No damage happens at 80c.
I do not think you have a problem there.

Air to cool the cpu and gpu comes in the front.
Pressure may build up in the case a bit, but eventually all of that intake air will exit the case taking component heat with it.
How are your cpu temperatures?
Your cooler looks to be a good one.
If your cooler is mounted well, you should be seeing 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
If you have overclocked, a stress test should be kept under 85c.
CPU-Z stress test is an easy one to run.
Run HWmonitor.
It should give you current,min and max temperatures as well as fan speeds.

About the only fix for more cooling would be to replace the front intakes with higher rpm fans.
That would be a shame since you bought the case for the RGB looks.
I suppose that replacing the rear exhaust fan with a stronger higher rpm fan would help some.
If you are inclined to buy another fan, Buy one with higher airflow than your current unit and put it in the rear.
See how you do,
Then, see if the original fan mounted in the top helps any.
First of all, thank you for the long and detailed reply.
I bought the case both for the RGB(Good looks) and for the performance, I did not expect it to have bad airflow.
I prefer performance overlooks(The entire thing is placed under the desk so I barely see it lol)

I went over to the store got the fan and installed it at the back(the 2100, 67.5 CFM), The GPU now runs at 3C lower than before.
But I am still not satisfied with it.

I'm planning on getting two NF-F12IPPC 120mm -3000, replacing two of the three stock fans at the front (Top and middle- Top is at the same height as the CPU cooler and the middle is the same as the GPU)
I'm hoping that once they go into full gear(3000RPM) They'll push all the hot air in the direction of the rear fan and out of the small holes at the back.

What do you think? Will it be effective?

I have also seen that I am able to change the fans on the CPU(The corsair ML120 fans), should I place the two 3000rpm notcuas on the CPU cooler and place the ML 120's at the front of the case?

I am unsure if the CPU cooler will be able to handle it though, I'm afraid it will cause issues once I set the Noctua's to 3000RPM

Aug 12, 2020
The problem is closed front panel of your case. It impedes air flow. Good only for showing off RGB bling.
Unfortunately you can't do anything there. Adding more fans, changes nothing.
Get a case with mesh front panel instead.

I thought so as well, so I opened the case and placed my hand at the back of the front fans(They were running at 1600rpm which is max for these stock fans) and could feel good airflow.

I researched a bit and found the noctua NF-F12IPPC-3000RPM.
Would place two of these fans at the front of the case improve the airflow?

Noctua makes good fans.
With higher cooling airflow over it, you are still going to see 80c. The difference is that the graphics card cooling fans will not need to run as fast.

Also run HWmonitor. If you see something like 85c. max . for the cpu, you are ok.

Solution
Aug 12, 2020
Noctua makes good fans.

Also run HWmonitor. If you see something like 85c. max . for the CPU, you are ok.
Is it good to place the two Noctua 3000rpm fans I'm getting at the front?
or should I place one at the rear exhaust and on at the front(middle) so it would push air towards the GPU
instead of the CPU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, NO, N-O.
Do NOT get IPPC fans. They get far too loud for what you want to do.

Take those 3 intake fans and mount them on the other side of the fan bracket. This should position them farther from the glass panel and give them some more breathing room.
Adding more exhausts won't do much if you can't get the intake situation fixed first; if the 2080Ti's cooler can't get enough fresh air, it'll 'cool down' on it's own exhaust instead.

Aug 12, 2020
No, NO, N-O.
Do NOT get IPPC fans. They get far too loud for what you want to do.

Take those 3 intake fans and mount them on the other side of the fan bracket. This should position them farther from the glass panel and give them some more breathing room.
Adding more exhausts won't do much if you can't get the intake situation fixed first; if the 2080Ti's cooler can't get enough fresh air, it'll 'cool down' on it's own exhaust instead.
I am aware of the issue, therefore I want to get a IPPC fan that will push cold air into the system faster and better than the other fans and thus pushing the hot air out through the back

Is there any other side besides noise?
noise is of no issue since I play with headset

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020
Noise is the main issue.
But, I wonder if you are trying to fix a problem that you do not have.
Those fans are expensive.

The usual need for better cooling is for the cpu, and I have no idea on how you are doing with that.
The CPU is affected by the GPU overheating which is why once the GPU reaches 80C the all case heats up.
The GPU exhaust goes up straight to the CPU cooler.
once I get the Noctua 3000rpm I am expecting it to shove the hot air that comes out of the GPU towards the back, instead of letting it go up towards the CPU fan.

If I game for 1-2 hours it is no issue that the GPU reaches 80C, but once I want to game for even longer 5-8 hours straight the GPU will bottleneck due to high temperatures.

Ps I would like to thank everyone for taking their time to help me and give me suggestions ,
Thanks alot guys :).

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am aware of the issue, therefore I want to get a IPPC fan that will push cold air into the system faster and better than the other fans and thus pushing the hot air out through the back

Is there any other side besides noise?
noise is of no issue since I play with headphones
Headphones...:kikou:

I've already been there, having filled entire chassis with IPPC A14s and F12s... just nope.
There is a remedy for your current situation without having to go ham on fans you don't need - you just need to be a little creative and willing to make certain changes.

1)Your chassis is crap for high power gpus.
-the fans, as they are, are too close to the glass panel, and just can't bring in that much air
-psu shrouds prioritize looks and hinder cooling by blocking off a potential bottom intake, as well as further restricting the front intake

There's 2 easy solutions here:
A)Take the front fans and install them on the other side of the fan bracket. This gives them more 'breathing room', allowing them to bring in more air.
B)Remove the psu shroud. I can see screws holding it in on the product page, so I know it's removable.

2)Cpu liquid cooler, or air cooler?
-If air cooler, is the rear fan weaker than the fans on the cooler? If yes, then remove it - it is just getting in the way.
-If liquid cooler, it's mounted as top exhaust, right?

Aug 12, 2020
Headphones...:kikou:

I've already been there, having filled entire chassis with IPPC A14s and F12s... just nope.
There is a remedy for your current situation without having to go ham on fans you don't need - you just need to be a little creative and willing to make certain changes.

1)Your chassis is crap for high power gpus.
-the fans, as they are, are too close to the glass panel, and just can't bring in that much air
-psu shrouds prioritize looks and hinder cooling by blocking off a potential bottom intake, as well as further restricting the front intake

There's 2 easy solutions here:
A)Take the front fans and install them on the other side of the fan bracket. This gives them more 'breathing room', allowing them to bring in more air.
B)Remove the psu shroud. I can see screws holding it in on the product page, so I know it's removable.

2)Cpu liquid cooler, or air cooler?
-If air cooler, is the rear fan weaker than the fans on the cooler? If yes, then remove it - it is just getting in the way.
-If liquid cooler, it's mounted as top exhaust, right?

I meant headset, apologies.

I've tried moving the Fans front bracket backwards (It's 1-ish cm difference) but the PSU shroud is blocking my way so I can't reach the bottom screws.

I have looked at the PSU shroud and couldn't see any screws that hold it in place, the screws at the right side of the shroud hold the HDD and SSD bracket, If you were talking about other screws could you please mark it and post a picture?

Regarding 2, It is air cooler and yes The rear fan is a bit slower (By 300RPM, air wise it moves 7 CFM less than the CPU fan), should I still take out the rear exhaust?

I will try to remove the PSU shroud and take the fans a bit backwards,
If it won't help the GPU I will buy one Noctua 3000RPM fan and place it at the middle of the front bracket.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have looked at the PSU shroud and couldn't see any screws that hold it in place, the screws at the right side of the shroud hold the HDD and SSD bracket.
They are there, alright. On the inside of the thing, hidden from sight: https://en.sharkoon.com/ImgSrv/1000...ses_and_Power/Midi_ATX/TG6_RGB/TG6_RGB_06.jpg
You'll need a small screwdriver for it.

Regarding 2, It is air cooler and yes The rear fan is a bit slower(By 300RPM, air wise it moves 7 CFM less than the CPU fan.
It's just getting in the way then.