Question Which component is faulty? My PC fails to boot until after 5 restarts.

Sep 15, 2020
My specs:
Ryzen 2600X
Asus Strix X470-F Motherboard
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super
Asus Thor 850W power supply

When I turn my PC on from a cold start, the fans spin loudly (and continue to do so until the PC shut off), and there is no display output.

I'll press the reset (or power on/off) switch anywhere from 3 to 5 times and then my PC will finally POST, giving me an error message about BIOS settings. I then click 'exit and disregard changes' and I'm able to boot in Windows.

When running benchmarking software or stress tests, my PC never crashes or shuts down.

Is it more likely that the RAM or motherboard is faulty? I'm worried it's the PSU for some bizarre reason.

Last edited:
My specs:
Ryzen 2600X
Asus Strix X470-F Motherboard
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200mhz RAM
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super
Asus Thor 850W power supply

When I turn my PC on from a cold start, the fans spin loudly (and continue to do so until the PC shut off), and there is no display output.

I'll press the reset (or power on/off) switch anywhere from 3 to 5 times and then my PC will finally POST, giving me an error message about BIOS settings. I then click 'exit and disregard changes' and I'm able to boot in Windows.

When running benchmarking software or stress tests, my PC never crashes or shuts down.

Is it more likely that the RAM or motherboard is faulty? I'm worried it's the PSU for some bizarre reason.
Try setting the memory speed to 2933Mhz in the bios

Sep 15, 2020
Try setting the memory speed to 2933Mhz in the bios
Unfortunately changing the RAM speed settings makes no difference.

With the motherboard, the either the VGA or RAM LEDs light up when the system fails to boot to windows (not simultaneously). I tried 3 different GPUs but has made zero difference.

I am going to order some RAM and see if that helps.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I did have same symptoms, when going up with ram-speed from 3600 cl16 to 3733 cl16 ( with adapted subtimings and increased ram-voltage, SOC-voltage etc.).
I do have a x570-board with 3950x and 2-16 Gb gskill 3200 cl14 trident z silver/red.

Windows itself and apps and games were stable - no crashes.

After returning to 3600-cl16-values every restart or coldstart worked flawlessly again( for some month up to now not even one issue - rockstable again).

But: you can increase RAM-voltage (f.i. from 1.35 to 1.37 or 1.38, SOC-voltage to 1.1). Give it a try. If not successful, simple go back to previous values.

Sep 15, 2020
Ordered some new ram so waiting to see if that makes any difference.

If the power supply was faulty, could that cause the above-mentioned problems?

Sep 15, 2020
I saw a video on Youtube where someone had a similar problem as me.

They'd turn their PC on, computer would switch on, but there is no VGA/monitor output. They'd reset their PC and then they'd boot normally in Windows.

Their suggestion was to 'Disable Fast Startup' in Windows 10.

So I've done just that.

Oddly enough, everything is now working correctly. I no longer have any issues turning my PC on, or restarting my PC. Granted I've only tested this for 30 minutes but so far so good. I've restarted my PC 5 times now and it hasn't crashed on boot.

Why would a setting inside Windows prevent my PC from turning on and give me BIOS error messages (failure to start)?