[SOLVED] Which component is that?

Mar 9, 2019
So I was planning to play some FIFA and my Asus x550vx laptop shut down with a metal burn smell. Now it won't turn on. I localised the area that I believe it's broken but I don't know which component it is.the silver Square in the bottom left(or maybe it's from the little things a little higher). In the left the motherboard continues with the HDD and the optical unit. In top right it's the fan. So my question is what is that silver Square and what it hides(looks like a heat sink to me) and how much does it cost to fix????
X550VX.jpg

Solution
If the chip is damaged or anyhting on the motherboard is damaged, it will be pretty much un-repariable by most folks unless they have some really serious de-soldering equipment. With a regular soldering iron your more likely to cause more damage to the multi-layer pcb, if you smell smoke or something not right your probably done with that motherboard.

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
If the chip is damaged or anyhting on the motherboard is damaged, it will be pretty much un-repariable by most folks unless they have some really serious de-soldering equipment. With a regular soldering iron your more likely to cause more damage to the multi-layer pcb, if you smell smoke or something not right your probably done with that motherboard.

Reactions: Doracristian
Solution