[SOLVED] Which computer is better for home office?

kjay80

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
I have two OLD computers, stashed in the storage, need to set up one for home office.
Which one would you use?

1. HP Pavilion 510-p026 Desktop PC
6th gen Intel i5-6400T
12gb DDR4 ram

2. Dell Inspiron Desktop Model 3847
4th gen i5-4460
8gb DDR3 ram

Both have similar specs on other configurations, just looking for something that could last for me.
HP is a bit on newer CPU, but it seems underpowered compared to Dell.

Let me know, what you guys think, thanks.

Solution
This one:
HP Pavilion 510-p026 Desktop PC

DDR4 will always be faster than DDR3 ram, regardless of what speeds they both run. You will also need to streamline the build, IMHO. How do you have 12GB's of ram on that platform? If it's 4+8GB sticks, remove one stick or remove both sticks and get a dual channel kit to have a a 2x4GB or higher capacity run in dual channel mode.

I'd also get an SSD to aid with fast boot times and snappier response time for apps loading times.

Lutfij

Titan
This one:
HP Pavilion 510-p026 Desktop PC

DDR4 will always be faster than DDR3 ram, regardless of what speeds they both run. You will also need to streamline the build, IMHO. How do you have 12GB's of ram on that platform? If it's 4+8GB sticks, remove one stick or remove both sticks and get a dual channel kit to have a a 2x4GB or higher capacity run in dual channel mode.

I'd also get an SSD to aid with fast boot times and snappier response time for apps loading times.

Solution

kjay80

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
That is what I thought, but comparing to those 2 CPUs, i5-6400T has 2.2GHz clock speed with 2.8GHz max turbo boost, whereas Dell's i5-4460 has 3.2GHz clock speed with up to 3.4GHz max Turbo.

I guess it does not really make much difference?
I have a spare SSD to replace the stock one.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
It depends what softwares you gonna use and how much power you need, do you use discrete, or integrated graphics. Also I look at upgradeability. Hp pavilion motherboard only supports 35w cpus, have 180w psu. Some prebuilt pcs is hardly upgradable, or not upgradable.

kjay80

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Both are using integrated graphic cards.
I plan to use typical ms office programs, and adobe acrobat, and possibly light photoshop.

I can get a decent graphic card if needed, but for now, I can't decide which one to use. Sorry for lots of questions, I am not a tech savvy.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Both pc have similar specs, and similar cpus. Maybe i5-6400t should be better, due newer gen, newer graphics, lower tdp. But if you have posibility to check one, and another system, just pick one which runs smoother, on low and heavy loads... i5-4460 is also very nice cpu, with higher base and turbo clocks...