Which CPU should I get?

iMammoth

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Hey there, I am in need of a new CPU and am planning on buying myself one for Christmas.
I have been looking at a few and so far I have come across some good deals at microcenter.
1st: AMD FX-9370 W/ ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Mobo ($344.98)
2nd: AMD FX-8350 W/ ASUS M5A99FX PRO ($269.98)
3rd: Intel i5-4670k W/ ASUS Z87 PRO ($354.98)
This build is basically for gaming only.
I know from what I've read most suggest the Intel CPUs, but is there really that much of a difference? I don't particularly like basing my judgement off of synthetic benchmarks.
I also know I'd have to purchase a good heatsink for the 9370 (Currently have the Hyper EVO 212).
Thanks for your time!

Specs:
AMD Athlon II X4 630 O.C. @ 3.5GHz
MSI MS-7623 MOBO
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
8GB Patriot 1600 DDR3 RAM

Solution
get the fx8350 as it can easily overclock to the stock speeds of the 9370 without the power draw and heat of the 220watt cpus over the 9370 unless u want a cpu less people have and a better board lol

Its a matter of the games u play if u game so the programs lol as many would like to think that future games will use more cores, but really id say there even where the i5 can outperform the fx8350 and especially in older games that run off faster single core performance than multi core. Also if u want to overclock the i5 at least hasewell gets quite hot compared to IB and SB. Look at benchmarks for things u do and compare and make ur decision off that and the pricing as the 8350 and 990fx is the cheapest solution. So even tho the i5 pulls...
get the fx8350 as it can easily overclock to the stock speeds of the 9370 without the power draw and heat of the 220watt cpus over the 9370 unless u want a cpu less people have and a better board lol

Its a matter of the games u play if u game so the programs lol as many would like to think that future games will use more cores, but really id say there even where the i5 can outperform the fx8350 and especially in older games that run off faster single core performance than multi core. Also if u want to overclock the i5 at least hasewell gets quite hot compared to IB and SB. Look at benchmarks for things u do and compare and make ur decision off that and the pricing as the 8350 and 990fx is the cheapest solution. So even tho the i5 pulls ahead usually from ur pricing its $85 difference unless budget isnt an issue then pick the best performance. But personally Id go for the fx8350 for the price.

Solution

iMammoth

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks for your reply :)
I think I'm ruling the 9370 out.
So now 8350 vs 4670k.
If i do get the 8350 i think I'm going to look elsewhere because they are all relatively cheap, but I want a better mobo than that bundle.
I could snag a 3570k cheaper but I fear the 1155 socket is going to be phased out and the 1150 is left.

Edit: The motherboard I would be looking at is possibly the Sabertooth 990fx with the 8350/8320 or the Crosshair V Formula-Z.
I'm not that great when it comes to mobos, is there any real distinction between these two?

The crosshair V is an overclockers/enthusiast/gamers board, its prob one or at least the best 990fx board in my opinion, and the sabertooth can prob OC as far as the crosshair could has none of its gamers etc features, but the sabertooth has a longer warranty and guarantee quality. Id look at the newegg page and look at features and the I/O as the crosshair has Supreme FX sound, and a Intel LAN compared to the sabertooths realtek, and other features or else ram, pcie, and sata there the same and warranty difference.

Have had experience with a crosshair V Formula Z and a Sabertooth 990fx R1 and if u dont use alot of the features or provided software there basically the same board, when u look at it the crosshair has more bells and whistles and feature heavy where the sabertooth is a reliable yet similar to the crosshair V, they really are the same board, yet being different lol

iMammoth

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

I think that's what I'm going to get!
I was browsing microcenter last night an paired the 8320 with the Crosshair-V and it saves $40 off the mobo too!
So about $289.00 I can get the 8320 w/ Crosshair-V.
I like to overclock and primarily game, I think that this cpu should get me through don't you think?
Only problem presented is that the nearest microcenter is 2 hours away and I have a 6 in a row work stretch :/
I've read on microcenter that they hold items for 3 calender days, does anyone know if this applies to everything? including these sweet deals?

EDIT: Also there is the 8350 paired with the Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo for $347.00
as Lazyboy stated the sabertooth has a much better warranty but the crosshair is more feature packed.
I've narrowed it down to these two options. Let me know what you guys think please!

Another EDIT: Sorry to keep editing this, but I see the Crosshair-V support DDR3 2400 (O.C.) does this mean I can buy a nice pair of 2400 sticks of RAM and it'll support that? Sorry I'm relatively new into all of this, but I'm learning :)

iMammoth

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Ended up getting the Intel i5 4670k W/ Asus z87 Pro.
I couldn't resist the intel temptation!!
I feel like the 4670k is going to be a great CPU for a while. From most of my research the 4670k beats the 83XX in almost every game.
Id pick all of you for Solutions if I could! Thanks for all of your help!