[SOLVED] Which cpu should I get

May 2, 2020
Im rebuilding my rig as my last one is [] up and im deciding between the 3700x and the 9700k. Im leaning towards AMD but want to hear reasons for Intel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Ryzen. Intel has 6 cores, 6 threads, but slightly faster. Ryzen has 6 cores but 12 threads. For someone not living for a benchmark number that equates to a probable longer useful lifespan and still get decent playability.

With most Ryzen vs Intel matchups, it's a case of the turtle laughing at the rabbit, all the way to the bank.
I have a preferrence for the 3700X because it will be cheaper (factoring in Motherboars price as well) and has comparable performance to the 9700k.

That being said. Your current CPU is already overkill for large spreadsheets, so if it's just a gaming decision: 9700k is the way to go. Although the extra cores from the 3700X is quite attractive.

Can't go wrong with either choice man.

May 2, 2020
Whether you’re looking for a starter CPU or a top-of-the-line powerhouse, Intel has offered faster processors than its chief rival, AMD.
However, with the recent price drops, the 3700X is a much better value for money CPU. Even if you’re looking to build a gaming-centric PC, it’s better to opt for the Matisse part, avoiding the 9700K.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen. Intel has 6 cores, 6 threads, but slightly faster. Ryzen has 6 cores but 12 threads. For someone not living for a benchmark number that equates to a probable longer useful lifespan and still get decent playability.

With most Ryzen vs Intel matchups, it's a case of the turtle laughing at the rabbit, all the way to the bank.

Reactions: mctrader07
Solution

1pikapikachu

Commendable
May 22, 2020
I'm deciding between the ryzen 5 3600 x and the 9600k. Which one would be better to use. I plan on doing casual gaming and plenty of schoolwork.
Considering you chose 9600k vs 5 3600 x. I would choose the AMD, it has 6 cores and 12 threads., it would be different if you presented with a i9-9900k. But yeah, AMD is better for this.

"casual gaming and plenty of school work." Yeah, i totally believe that XD

MarkTM

Honorable
Jun 9, 2017
I would wait a couple days and get the new i510600K. 6 core 12 threads 4.5 boost speed on all cores.
I second this.

Also, you may want to consider Motherboard price as well if you are shopping for a new cpu with mobo. Buying the b450 mobo + 3600x is a good deal + the b450 can handle next gen cpus from AMD so if you are planning to upgrade more in the future, you can do that as well.

"May 20, 2020 AMD has now announced that B450 and X470 chipsets WILL support AMD Ryzen 4000 processors. The story below is now incorrect given this new information. "

Reactions: mctrader07

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On the plus side, answers voted down are deliberately useless for anything other than a notice to the poster that someone didn't find the post/suggestion/advice/whatever appropriate.

So when 1pikapikachu voted an answer down on this thread, I got the message, but can also see whom the vote was from, no anominity. Trolls beware, that behavior isn't tolerated, and justice is swift.

Reactions: PurpleChange

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
On the plus side, answers voted down are deliberately useless for anything other than a notice to the poster that someone didn't find the post/suggestion/advice/whatever appropriate.
Sure, but maybe that the OP might take it serious.

So when 1pikapikachu voted an answer down on this thread, I got the message, but can also see whom the vote was from, no anominity. Trolls beware, that behavior isn't tolerated, and justice is swift.
Can't even begin to get why since he said about the same thing besides taking the i9 into the equasion which doesn't make sense and making an in his imagination "witty" remark.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lots of assumptions. You could just as easy assume that his GF is mad at him and wants petty revenge and causing unwarranted trouble, or his 5 year old saw the arrows and click-click-click but the screen didn't move up/down. Yoyll not know until he explains, and even then you have to take the explanation on Faith until proven otherwise.

There's very few trolls whom admit to trolling.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For all intents and purposes there's little to no difference in any of the 3 cpus, barring production, cc etc. For simply gaming its not really going to matter at all with 5-10 fps differences, you can't see it, it behaves the same, only a benchmark will tell you otherwise, but benchmarks and reality are not the same.

So it becomes more of a personal preference. Hate amd, willing to pay the Intel premium or love amd and the price is a bonus, best bang for the buck budget etc. Even personal bias. Some vote for the underdog simply because it's the underdog.

The choice won't make a difference in the real world except to Op's wallet, with the 6c cpu he'll be upgrading that much sooner than with either of the 6c/12t cpus.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and Vic 40

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
What resolution on the monitor?

Looked at price performance?
Intel Core i5 10600K vs. Ryzen 5 3600 & R7 3700X - YouTube
personally do not see why you would want to spend so much more.
If he had the money to spend I would get the 10600K for the ability to overclock it can add a couple years to the time before you need to upgrade again. If on budget then the 3600 would be a better buy it might allow to get a bit better video card. The Intel is just going to be about 30 bucks more than the 3600X so in my opinion a better buy for the long term.