Which CPU to buy ,...

Dec 2, 2018
I've been thinking about which CPU to buy now for weeks. I can't decide which one to get.
I want a CPU that can be used for at least the next 4-5 + years.
-i7 9700K -- and the new i7 does not have hyper threading.''wtf''
-i7 8700K
-Ryzen 2700x Or should I wait for new Ryzen-?

I play games at 1440p...
The reason for my PC upgrade is because my current CPU finally showing its Age -i5 2500K
I play Battlefield games a lot. So I really want this to be a smooth experience. Other than gaming I do --yutube ,,web surfing.
I'm not Intel or AMD fanboy......:bounce::pt1cable:

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
I have a similar build to yours. I have no intention of upgrading until ryzen 3000 launches. It'll either offer 9900k performance for $250 or less (ryzen 5 demoed at CES) , or better performance for slightly less than a 9900k most likely. (12 or 16 core flavor that'll almost certainly still be under 9900k prices)

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to wait for Ryzen 3000 series and upgrade to the best CPU I can. Zen 2 is the way to go. I may get the 3700x or I may get the 3800x. No idea yet. If Ryzen 9 comes out with the Ryzen 7 I may get Ryzen 9 but if Ryzen 9 isn't out with Ryzen 7 at launch I might not wait for Ryzen 9.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
just wait till the end of this year.. 7nm from amd and 10nm from intel are worth the wait.. and they will be significant improvement over current 14nm.

u dont want to be the guy who build 7th gen rig few months before the launch of 8th gen intel chips which came with 2 extra cores at same price. being that guy sucks

Dec 2, 2018

I agree with you..:)
''just wait till the end of this year.. '' huuuhhh i need it now...
And relese date of new intel procesors?

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017

both launch around sept.- oct, AMD might even launch in Q2end or q3 start .. and add another month to that so all the drivers and Bios updates and stuff are out.. so end of this year.. waiting sucks but not waiting and getting a PC now will suck more..

trust me on this one i was this close to building i5 7500 just 2weeks before intel came out with 8th gen.. with 2extra cores at same price. and AMD came up with APUs few months after that. thanks to whoever didnt buy my old system i was forced to wait.
i5 2500K is not a total potato PC. u can game on it if u got a decent GPU.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
8700k would be best out of those picks prior to Ryzen 3. Processors without Hyperthreading are overrated and those that follow the advice getting 8600k/9600k and 9700k come back here questioning why they have fps stutters and high cpu usage at high refresh rates they play at. I've seen many high usage posts regards to 8600k, 9600k and some for 9700k, it's still early days so i suspect these posts to grow. I don't give single cores much credit tbh.

I write in a response explaining why Hyperthreading matters.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3880611/8600k-ryzen-2600.html

Dec 2, 2018
And again new socket...for 10nm?
Lanch date around late 2019 or even 2020 (if not delayed again).
Was the 10nm chip functional? Completely functional? I don't have much confidence in it without a demo so we can see it works.
Will a 10nm Intel processor give noticeably better performance as 14nm.....this is a real question.
It's never a good time to buy,there's always new hardware over the horizon,...

Sorry for my english...it's not best :/

Dec 2, 2018
We've also performed some CPU core scaling, and the results are very interesting. Four cores with no SMT/HT performs worst. However, the most interesting observation is that when we disabled hyperthreading in a 6 or 8 core configuration, the performance overall increased substantially in the CPU bound resolutions for the RTX 2080 Ti.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.png

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-v-pc-performance-benchmarks,4.html