Question Which CPU was your very first one?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
My first machine had an MOS 6502 CPU running at 1.023 MHz - it was Apple IIe. My first intel PC had a Pentium 60. Since then I had several interesting PCs - loved the Micron with a dual slot socket motherboard running Pentium Pro 180s! Another stand out was DFI LANPARTY UT Nf4 Motherboard running socket 939 Athlon 64 x2 3800+!

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219 and Endre
Seriously?

First CPU I used was MOS 6502 in USSR made Agat computer (Apple II clone) at 7th grade in school. Next was К1801ВМ1 in USSR made BK-0010.01 (miniaturized PDP-11 architecture ripoff). Cobbled together another "keyboard" computer Radio 86RK with КР580ВМ80А CPU (direct Intel 8080 clone). Had a ton of fun with firmware manual entering into ROM programmer in form of hex bytes from printed lists. And 2 weeks of same fun while entered Basic interpreter completely. Also built two ZX Spectrum clones with real Z80A CPU (became available in ex-USSR at end of 1991). In school internship had to work with Bulgarian made IBM PC clone Pravec-16. We are now talking about Chinese as infamous copycats, yes :D:D:D

There was also Atari 130XE (widely used here around 1990-1992 as arcade machine alternative, time was billed by minutes). And then PC and Mac era began. But those things are well known for anyone, so boring stuff...

Last edited:
First CPU ever ? Don't know what was in the Pong game but first PC, most probably z80 in a Timex-Sincair, then few Atari PCs, last one in 1040st with Motorola 68000. First IBM compatible with 8088/8086 than 286 etc.
With 80386 already able to overcome Atari use.

commycharb

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
It was an AMD. A MP processor from a laptop that was not salvageable. I think it was like 1.3 -1.6 GHz. I had a few laptops I "found" before I built a PC of my own.

As far as the first family PC I believe it was a 386 or 486 series of old school CPU's. Back in the day we actually had one computer for the entire family. One phone too. Yep I know it sounds crazy.

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
Don't remember specs but this was my first baby.
hZNSOz.jpg

Uh, that brings memories back.. some of my milestones:
1982: Z80 at 3.25Mhz (Sinclair ZX81)
1983: Z80A at 3.5Mhz (Sinclair Spectrum)
1986: Motorola 68000 at 8Mhz (Atari ST) -fantastic CPU!
1992: AMD 386sx (first PC) -crap compared to Atari ST
-after that I started building custom PC's ...many of them :)

Reactions: Krotow
If we're talking about graphic cards in their modern meaning then it's this one.

Yep, had this too. Same 3dfx Voodoo, but card assembled by Diamond Multimedia. Also had Creative 3D Blaster Banshee as next GPU. Then for short time used S3 things. Got Diamond Stealth3D 2000 aka S3 Virge. Just worked but didn't exactly liked it. Then got Diamond Viper II Z200 (aka S3 Savage2000). Unfortunately S3TC in reality didn't met my expectations plus glitched like heck. So after a short time bought Nvidia GeForce2 and never looked back to untested thingamajigs anymore.

Reactions: allidsarebusy

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
Yep, had this too. Same 3dfx Voodoo, but card assembled by Diamond Multimedia. Also had Creative 3D Blaster Banshee as next GPU. Then for short time used S3 things. Got Diamond Stealth3D 2000 aka S3 Virge. Just worked but didn't exactly liked it. Then got Diamond Viper II Z200 (aka S3 Savage2000). Unfortunately S3TC in reality didn't met my expectations plus glitched like heck. So after a short time bought Nvidia GeForce2 and never looked back to untested thingamajigs anymore.
Hahaha that was my next one as well! LOL Creative Banshee was the first real modern graphic card IMHO. Excellent piece of equipment.

Hahaha that was my next one as well! LOL Creative Banshee was the first real modern graphic card IMHO. Excellent piece of equipment.

Sure. No patch-thru display cable required and possibility to run 3D accelerated screen in a window definitely was a progress then.

Haha, great time remember AGP slots...

AGP GPUs was real progress after slow ISA and quirky VLB - real "Plug & Pray" incarnation. At least AGP cards just worked. Almost always :)

TRENDING THREADS