Which cpu will survive ???

sutirtha

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
After using ryzen 7 2700x and a equivalent Intel i7 processor for 3 years which processor will perform better ???I will be using 3d softwares for work

Solution
A cursory look says AutoCAD does not have multithread support.
From what I read, and I am no expert on Maya or autocad, it looks to me like the higher single thread speeds of the i7-8700K will be a better match for you.

2700X will have 16 threads and each thread can run at 4.2 clock when overclocked.
8700K will have 12 threads, but each thread can run at 5.0 when overclocked.
Plus the 8700K does a bit more work per clock.

So the issue really comes down to how many threads your application can use.
If you run several instances of a program at a time, then the more threads available in the 2700X will give you the maximum possible throughput.
But, only when all 16 threads are fully utilized.
If you do not load the pc fully, then the...
I presume the equivalent I7 processor is the I7-8700K and both processors are overclocked reasonably.

If the 3d software that you use is multithreaded and capable of fully using all threads at 100%, then the added threads(16 vs.12)
Will be more important than the faster core speeds of the 8700K.

Do you have some sort of a decision to make?

A cursory look says AutoCAD does not have multithread support.
From what I read, and I am no expert on Maya or autocad, it looks to me like the higher single thread speeds of the i7-8700K will be a better match for you.

2700X will have 16 threads and each thread can run at 4.2 clock when overclocked.
8700K will have 12 threads, but each thread can run at 5.0 when overclocked.
Plus the 8700K does a bit more work per clock.

So the issue really comes down to how many threads your application can use.
If you run several instances of a program at a time, then the more threads available in the 2700X will give you the maximum possible throughput.
But, only when all 16 threads are fully utilized.
If you do not load the pc fully, then the faster clocks of the 8700K will get each task done is less time.

If your app is a single app, then Amdahl's law will come more into play.
That is where the speed of the master thread becomes a limiting factor on how many threads it can usefully dispatch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_law

Today, I think your best bet is the 8700K in the $350 price range.
There are other more expensive options from intel or amd if you are in the truly multithreaded environment

What is your decision time frame?
New products from amd and intel are due this quarter.

Solution