Question Which CPU would you guys buy for ASROCK B450M HDV R4.0?

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
I already got the board. I'm considering:
2600X ($125)
2700 ($149,99)
2700x ($159)

The motherboard doesn't have cooling in the VRM and aparently it maxes out at 50 amps. So maybe going with 2700x would be a waste of money. I was thinking about modding the board with some cheap heatsinks from Aliexpress and fans. I'm not thinking about overclock at the momment. I might get a better board in the future

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
What will you be using your PC for?
I want an all rounder . However, I'm going to use the PC for gaming for the most part but I was thinking on how the new Xbox will come with a 8 core chip so it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy an 8 core chip now that they are so cheap.
I'm just worried about having issues with the Ryzen 7 chips eventhought they are incluided in the motherboard CPU list. I've read comments when the vrm just get hot and can't sustanin turbo performance. If the CPU doesn't has those kind of issues I'd definitely go with 2700X

Last edited:
I want an all rounder system. However, I'm going to use the PC for gaming for the most part but I was thinking on how the new Xbox will come with a 8 core CPU so 8c/16t so wouldn't be a bad idea to buy an 8 core chip now that they are so cheap.
I'm just worried about having issues with the Ryzen 7 chips eventhought they are incluided in the motherboard CPU list. I've read comments when the vrm just get hot and can't sustanin turbo performance. If the CPU doesn't has those kind of issues I'd definitely go with 2700X
Personally, I would just return the B450 if I still can and get an x570 or wait for B550 boards. I would also wait until next year when Ryzen 4000 is released so that I can get the Ryzen 7 3700X for around $250 and so I don't need to bother with overclocking.

Currently I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 and haven't really needed a faster CPU yet. The next upgrade i'll be buying is the RTX 3000 series coming either next year or 2021. I plan to buy a Ryzen 4000 8+Core next year or wait until 2021 and get a 12+ core.

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Personally, I would just return the B450 if I still can and get an x570 or wait for B550 boards. I would also wait until next year when Ryzen 4000 is released so that I can get the Ryzen 7 3700X for around $250 and so I don't need to bother with overclocking.

Currently I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 and haven't really needed a faster CPU yet. The next upgrade i'll be buying is the RTX 3000 series coming either next year or 2021. I plan to buy a Ryzen 4000 8+Core next year or wait until 2021 and get a 12+ core.
I can't return the thing. It's what I have and my CPU is already giving me issues. If I had a 2600 I wouldn't be asking this. I got a Haswell i5 4460 which is starting to show its age. I might get a better board in a couple of months but I want to know if the CPU would be fine at stock settings on this board. I'm not going to overclock anything but the memory. I don't have any ryzen CPU at the momment. I got the board for very little money

I can't return the thing. It's what I have and my CPU is already giving me issues. If I had a 2600 I wouldn't be asking this. I got a Haswell i5 4460 which is starting to show its age. I might get a better board in a couple of months but I want to know if the CPU would be fine at stock settings on this board. I'm not going to overclock anything but the memory. I don't have any ryzen CPU at the momment. I got the board for very little money
A Ryzen 5 2600 would be a good upgrade and reasonably cheap, but may struggle in games later on, so you may want to upgrade to a Ryzen 4000 in 2-3 years. The cheaper motherboards like yours should be fine to use with a 2700X or 3700X. Just make sure you have good airflow in the case and at least one 140-200mm fan directly blowing on the board to help cool it.

Reactions: joser0913

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
A Ryzen 5 2600 would be a good upgrade and reasonably cheap, but may struggle in games later on, so you may want to upgrade to a Ryzen 4000 in 2-3 years. The cheaper motherboards like yours should be fine to use with a 2700X or 3700X. Just make sure you have good airflow in the case and at least one 140-200mm fan directly blowing on the board to help cool it.
Thank you very much. Acording to the motherboard page it can handle a 2700X and also you are giving confirmation so I hope it will run fine. I'm definenitely going to add some fans and even so heatsinks for the VRM on the cheap xD

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Acording to the motherboard page it can handle a 2700X and also you are giving confirmation so I hope it will run fine.
So just an FYI, if a CPU is listed on the mobo support page it means that the BIOS supports it, but doesn't necessarily mean the board can run it well. E.g. your board also lists support for the 3950X, but I wouldn't try to run a 16 core CPU with your board.

That said, if gaming is the most intensive thing you're doing that isn't going to be maxing out all cores and drawing near-maximum power the way something like rendering or encoding would. So a 2600X or 2700X should still work fine.

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
So just an FYI, if a CPU is listed on the mobo support page it means that the BIOS supports it, but doesn't necessarily mean the board can run it well. E.g. your board also lists support for the 3950X, but I wouldn't try to run a 16 core CPU with your board.

That said, if gaming is the most intensive thing you're doing that isn't going to be maxing out all cores and drawing near-maximum power the way something like rendering or encoding would. So a 2600X or 2700X should still work fine.
Exactly the reason why I asked. Thank you very much for the clarification. I might even undervolt the chip and throttle it down, maybe disabling Hyperthreading or whatever AMD decided to call it if necesary while I get a new board.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Exactly the reason why I asked. Thank you very much for the clarification. I might even undervolt the chip and throttle it down, maybe disabling Hyperthreading or whatever AMD decided to call it if necesary while I get a new board.
If you are going to do that, you might as well save money getting a non X version. Honestly I would just get the 2600 and buy a used or new 3000/4000 series 8 core in 2-3 years if needed. The only real difference between the non X version is it comes with a worse cooler and can't automatically overclock as high. Otherwise the X version is pretty much the same CPU just with a higher base clock. They all overclock to about the same point, but it takes a bit more effort to overclock the non X version. From my own testing, I only gained around 10fps with 4.1Ghz overclock on my 2600 and in most games it's already running 3.8-3.85Ghz below the 3.9Ghz max boost. some games drop it to 3.775Ghz like Far Cry New Dawn. Edit - I'm also using a Hyper 212 Evo for cooling which keeps the CPU under 60c and right now I'm seeing 45-46c in Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2.

joser0913

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Price difference between the two is only $10 right now. I'd say that's worth it for the better cooler and stock clocks. With the 2600X you don't even have to overclock, as stock boost behaviour gets you pretty much optimal performance out of the box.
Exactly, the difference is minimal and I would be getting a better cooler which seems pretty decent to be honest.

Price difference between the two is only $10 right now. I'd say that's worth it for the better cooler and stock clocks. With the 2600X you don't even have to overclock, as stock boost behaviour gets you pretty much optimal performance out of the box.
I honestly hadn't even noticed the price drop. Last I saw it was around $150. I'm seeing $135 on newegg and $125 on amazon. So yeah, definitely worth getting the 2600X over the 2600 at $120 on both sites.

Edit - One other thing, the 2600X comes with the Wraith Spire and not the far better Wraith Prism like the 2700X.

Last edited: