[SOLVED] Which damn mystery process is using 50% of my 16 GB of RAM?

potato112

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
This has annoyed me for so long. When I boot my computer, have discord and some other stuff open in the background and browse Firefox with a program called firemin that makes it use barely any RAM, about 30% is used which is fine. However, at some point, it becomes 50% (despite the fact that there is no culprit in task manager, only the same basic stuff and background processes all using about 1 mb). I have tried a ton of things, I even went as far as using a "memory optimizer" (admittedly from razer who I do trust) but that basically did nothing. How do I fix this? Does it go beyond software issues? Would reinstalling Windows help? (I do not want to do that though)

Solution
What statistic are you looking at?
Windows will keep code in ram in anticipation that it might need to be reused quickly.

It this causing a problem?
If you were truly short of ram, your page file would be active with hard page faults.
Look in task manager, memory tab for the hard fault page rate.
If you see anything significantly more than zero, you could indeed be impacted.

potato112

Prominent
Nov 1, 2019
does the memory free up, once you close firefox?
test without the firemin?
it frees up BARELY. and without firemin, i think something in my firefox related to memory optimizations is screwed, and it starts using insanely high amounts of ram (we are talking like 3 gb when 3 tabs are open) so that is no use

What statistic are you looking at?
Windows will keep code in ram in anticipation that it might need to be reused quickly.

It this causing a problem?
If you were truly short of ram, your page file would be active with hard page faults.
Look in task manager, memory tab for the hard fault page rate.
If you see anything significantly more than zero, you could indeed be impacted.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS