Question Which Dell monitor should I buy ?

D

Deleted member 2905232

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a monitor, and I don't know which one to buy of the following:
  • Dell S2721Q - $352.27 - 4k 60Hz 27"
  • Dell S2721DGF - $500 - 2K 165Hz 27"
*By 2k, I mean 1440p.

I have a 27" 2K 60Hz monitor that I would use as a secondary monitor in portrait mode next to this monitor.

I would be using the monitor for:
  • Office and Productivity - Coding, spreadsheets, web browsing, watching videos, interfacing with programs etc.
  • Movies
  • Gaming
Primarily, I would be using the monitor for Office and Productivity. I occasionally play casual games (FPS, strategy etc.) and sometimes watch a movie.

The primary tradeoff here is the resolution and framerate. The S2721DGF also has a worse contrast ration compared to the S2721Q.

I'm having a tough time deciding which one to go for.

I would like a monitor that can do a variety of things well, with a nice, crisp image that I can enjoy for many years to come.

Lutfij

Titan
Gaming
What is the make and model of your GPU?

I'd pick the 165Hz panel out of those two if you're into competitive gaming. if you're into casual gaming, then the 4K panel for higher pixel density. Might want to include the titles you intend to game or are gaming on. That being said, are those the only two panels you have access to?

D

Deleted member 2905232

Gaming
What is the make and model of your GPU?

I'd pick the 165Hz panel out of those two if you're into competitive gaming. if you're into casual gaming, then the 4K panel for higher pixel density. Might want to include the titles you intend to game or are gaming on. That being said, are those the only two panels you have access to?

CSGO, TeamFortress, some strategy games, Civ etc.

I have an MSI Ventus 1650 Super.

Those are the two panels I narrowed things down to. That is based on availability, price, and was also the best based on elimination.

Some arguments I've read are:
  • At 27", you won't see a difference between 2k and 4k in terms of clarity. Is this true?
  • At 27", a 4k screen will make things unreadable and scaled down
  • A higher refresh rate will make things more immersive and responsive, even outside of games
  • A 2k High refresh rate screen is better at 27" than a 4k 60Hz screen
I was actually set on a 4k 60Hz panel and actually bought one, but people swayed me otherwise, hence the current confusion and post.

Now I'm just not entirely certain which one I would enjoy the most and would have the most benefit for my purposes as listed above. Before, I thought, without a doubt, 4k would be best.

D

Deleted member 2905232

I got the 4k monitor, and I'm just blown away by the clarity of this display.

I thought I wouldn't see a difference between 2k and 4k at 27" but boy was I wrong!

It's only 60Hz, but the text and everything is so perfectly clear that I cannot possibly un-see this level of clarity.

High refresh rate is also probably really nice. I look forward to when we have affordable 144Hz 4k displays.

Until then, this is still an eye-gasm.

Especially if someone is not really gaming, 4k all the way. This display is just amazing, colors pop, clarity is unbelievable, brightness is perfect, and the picture looks the same no matter where I look at it from!

This is a steal at that price.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS