[SOLVED] Which Driver is in actual use

Feb 17, 2021
Have 2 Samsung SSD's installed. Under Properties / Driver both show Microsoft Driver
Under Device Manager / Storage Controller both the Samsung NVMe Controller and the Standard NVM Express Controller are shown
I think my Read / Write speeds (Samsung Magician) are low.
So which Driver am I actually using on these SSD's

Solution
Your 970 drive is operating at peak speeds...as long as you see the Samsung driver under Storage Controller you're good to go.

The 980 is requires a PCI-E 4 capable board and CPU to reach higher than PCIE 3 speeds which is what you're getting.

One thing you may not be aware of is there is no real world difference between PCI-E 3 and 4...the differences only show up in benchmarks. PCI-E 4, 3, and even standard SATA6 drives all finish loading games within a couple of seconds of each other in almost all cases. Hardware Unboxed recently did some extensive testing on the subject if you want to hit Youtube and check it out.
Feb 17, 2021
I am mostly concerned with the Driver that shows up when you select a Drive, say the (C) Drive and under Properties / Driver the listed Driver is Microsoft
I thought that the Driver for each of the SSD's would be the Samsung Driver that shows up under Storage Controllers : Samsung NVMe Controller
Also, I see Read / Write numbers around the 6000 range for the Samsung 980 PRO
Your thoughts appreciated

D

Deleted member 14196

Where do you see speeds of 6000? Links please. It’s not for you to worry about what driver it is as long as it’s working it’s the right driver and it’s working correctly

But you are looking at is the PCIe 4.0 speeds apparently. Do you have a PCIE 4.0 capable motherboard and processor? Probably not

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BogdanH
Your 970 drive is operating at peak speeds...as long as you see the Samsung driver under Storage Controller you're good to go.

The 980 is requires a PCI-E 4 capable board and CPU to reach higher than PCIE 3 speeds which is what you're getting.

One thing you may not be aware of is there is no real world difference between PCI-E 3 and 4...the differences only show up in benchmarks. PCI-E 4, 3, and even standard SATA6 drives all finish loading games within a couple of seconds of each other in almost all cases. Hardware Unboxed recently did some extensive testing on the subject if you want to hit Youtube and check it out.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

right now I think only AMD has support for PCIE 4.0

Intel may also have it now, but you need new PC components

Feb 17, 2021
Mandark / Dorsal;
Thank You. I know enough to get into trouble, but sometimes not enough to get out of trouble.
On the speed issue, I am probably confusing Terms used in the multitude of Benchmarks

And in reality, you're probably not going to see any real appreciation between what you're getting now and what you're expecting outside of benchmarks. For day-to-day use, the raw bandwidth of SSDs isn't really what offers the performance boost. It's how quickly they can grab data, which is measured by IOPS or the 4K random tests.