Which engine is better - Torque or 3D Game Studio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

Cindi Jenkins wrote:

> A team of eight people have assembled to create the most successful game in
> 2006 (Ego's rule) and are not looking to reinvent the wheel and therefore
> have chosen to use an existing engine. Need to understand what is the best
> engine that has the following features:

GDC is this week. All the people you need to talk to are
in San Francisco, available to you.

John Nagle

Archived from groups: rec.games.design,comp.games.development.industry,comp.games.development.programming.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.graphics.api.opengl (More info?)

Torque is actually quite an old engine, so it is showing its age. On
the other hand, it is mature and the current Mac range even come
complete with a Torque-based game as one of the bundled titles ("Marble
Blast Gold"), so it's certainly capable.

I would advise downloading the demos first to see if you like how they
work. Torque does have a C++ interface, but its primarily aimed at
those who intend to use its own scripting language. You don't get to
see the source and, frankly, there's not much point in being able to do
so. It works. It ain't going to get noticeably faster unless you make
radical changes to the core engine, in which case, you may as well
write your own.

I did play with OGRE too, but OGRE is much less complete. It is faster,
but it lacks maturity and the support for Mac OS X seems to be an
afterthought. (Only the Windows release comes all nicely packaged. The
OS X release won't even build its own demos with XCode 1.5. Not
impressed.)

The problem is that you're really looking for a _game_ engine, rather
than just a graphics engine and OGRE is primarily a graphics engine.
It'll do 3D, but not a whole hell of a lot else. Torque is older, but
may be better suited to your needs.

As for 3D Game Studio: It's one of those point-and-click "Make A Game"
programs you often see in bargain bins. I'm sure it's capable of some
nice stuff within its own limitations, but it's not really a
pro-quality game engine.

There are surprisingly few complete middleware game engines available
at a cheap price point, so your options are limited, I'm afraid. And
without knowing what kind of game you really want, it's hard to be
specific about which engine is "better".

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley

Sean Baggaley wrote:

> There are surprisingly few complete middleware game engines available
> at a cheap price point, so your options are limited, I'm afraid. And
> without knowing what kind of game you really want, it's hard to be
> specific about which engine is "better".

$50 US will net you a copy of Unreal Tournament 2kX and an
editor. Can't get a much more complete game engine than that, at
least if you're interested in making FPSes. ;)

-tom!

--
There's really no reason to send a copy of your
followup to my email address, so please don't.