Which format for bootable USB for Asus Z170-A motherboard?

BigJohnnyTwoToes

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
I am trying to create a windows 10 bootable USB with rufus for my new build that will have an Asus Z170-A motherboard. I want to install the operating system on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and use a WD 1TB HDD for storage. I already have the Windows 10 ISO file downloaded, but I don't know what settings to select when creating the bootable USB:

1. Partition scheme and target system type:
a. MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI
b. MBR partition scheme for UEFI
c. GPT partition scheme for UEFI

2. File system:
a. FAT32 (Default)
b. NTFS
c. UDF
d. exFAT

3. Cluster size: the choices update based on what you select in #2. There are defaults and then various options that are higher and lower.

Believe it or not I have seen several different combinations in my research and i think it depends on the type of bios/uefi bios you have on your motherboard/when the guide was made/what version of windows (7/8/10 etc). I am new to pc building and couldn't figure it out from looking at the Asus z170a manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution

GPT scheme for UEFI. Rest should be defaults. Leave it at FAT32, and leave cluster size on default.

Go into BiOS, make sure UEFI boot is enabled, and then boot from USB

If that doesn't work, then do MBR for BIOS/UEFI.

BigJohnnyTwoToes

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

That is what I tried first, but unfortunately It won't recognize my usb so I have to use Rufus. Do you know which settings I should use?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

GPT scheme for UEFI. Rest should be defaults. Leave it at FAT32, and leave cluster size on default.

Go into BiOS, make sure UEFI boot is enabled, and then boot from USB

If that doesn't work, then do MBR for BIOS/UEFI.

Solution