[SOLVED] which gaming headphone to buy

Switchblade194

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
hi guys so im thinking about getting the alpha s headphones,im quiet the audiophile now so sound quality is above all else for me. and 4 years ago i had the original clouds and they were amazing to me as a kid.so the main question- is there anything better at that price range.

Solution
D
The 650 has about the best timbre and tonality of any mid-fi headphone but the smallish soundstage, mid bass hump and lack of air in the treble make them 'meh' for gaming. They're 9/10 for vocals, jazz and some classic rock though. On the downside they need an amp. The better your amp/DAC chain the better they sound. All in all I like the HD600 better.

But the OP mentioned gaming. And the cheaper but just as 'good' Fidelio X2 at $150 is better for gaming. It has a HUGE soundstage. There's really not a better value that I've found in the headphone world. They don't roll off in the bass like the Sennheisers and have actual sub bass. They maybe lack a little air in the treble but it's about the same as the 650s. They also don't need an...
D

Deleted member 217926

If you're interested in sound quality at all and call yourself an audiophile you don't want anything labeled 'gaming' nor do you want anything from a company that also makes keyboards and mice.

D

Deleted member 217926

I really wouldn't buy an HD650/6XX for gaming. They're 'meh'. Something like a Fidelio X2 ( $145 at Amazon ) or a K712 Pro is much better. Even an HD599 because of the soundstage. But without a budget it's impossible to recommend anything.

D

Deleted member 217926

The 650 has about the best timbre and tonality of any mid-fi headphone but the smallish soundstage, mid bass hump and lack of air in the treble make them 'meh' for gaming. They're 9/10 for vocals, jazz and some classic rock though. On the downside they need an amp. The better your amp/DAC chain the better they sound. All in all I like the HD600 better.

But the OP mentioned gaming. And the cheaper but just as 'good' Fidelio X2 at $150 is better for gaming. It has a HUGE soundstage. There's really not a better value that I've found in the headphone world. They don't roll off in the bass like the Sennheisers and have actual sub bass. They maybe lack a little air in the treble but it's about the same as the 650s. They also don't need an amp at all.

The K712 Pro is still the best gaming headphone I've heard though.

Solution