[SOLVED] which gpu paires best with core i5 2500

khayyamyaqoob

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
i have an old dell optiplex 990 with core i5 2500(3.3ghz), 4 gigs ram(1333mhz). 06D7TR motherboard and psu 265w,, please suggest a decent gpu with sufficient vram, which components need to upgrade to avoid bottle neck , i have a budget of 150$ to 180$. thanks in advance.

Solution
Optiplex 990 does support UEFI bios

bios download for OptiPlex 990:

i have upgraded the bios to latest A24 version.

i am adding a link for you to tell me that by "UEFI support" you mean boot options? And i have to change it from legacy to UEFI?
https://www.google.com.pk/search?q=...ECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=947#imgrc=Su_gfBM_PPaEWM

i have exact same "Boot list options" for my system as illustrated in the link.

Yes change the boot option to UEFI and also that is a UEFI bios screen as it's got a gui (even if it does look like windows 3.1)....

Edit...
i have an old dell optiplex 990 with core i5 2500(3.3ghz), 4 gigs ram(1333mhz). 06D7TR motherboard and psu 265w,, please suggest a decent gpu with sufficient vram, which components need to upgrade to avoid bottle neck , i have a budget of 150$ to 180$. thanks in advance.

Can you confirm which version of the Optiplex 990 you have, is it the desktop, mini tower? That will have an impact on what graphics card you can fit....

If it's the desktop case it looks like it will only fit half height graphics cards, also you are going to struggle with only a 265W power supply - essentially you can only use graphics cards that are powered from the PCIe graphics slot alone. There are some options available but it's limited.

If it's the mini tower, you should be able to fit full height graphics boards which help - although you are still limited on power (although in the mini tower config you might be able to do something about the power supply as well).

Other than that you will also need to look at upgrading the ram, 4 gig's isn't really enough to work with, you need at least 8gb, 16 would be even better.

Reactions: khayyamyaqoob

khayyamyaqoob

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Can you confirm which version of the Optiplex 990 you have, is it the desktop, mini tower? That will have an impact on what graphics card you can fit....

If it's the desktop case it looks like it will only fit half height graphics cards, also you are going to struggle with only a 265W power supply - essentially you can only use graphics cards that are powered from the PCIe graphics slot alone. There are some options available but it's limited.

If it's the mini tower, you should be able to fit full height graphics boards which help - although you are still limited on power (although in the mini tower config you might be able to do something about the power supply as well).

Other than that you will also need to look at upgrading the ram, 4 gig's isn't really enough to work with, you need at least 8gb, 16 would be even better.

https://www.google.com.pk/search?q=...nsavoDA&bih=947&biw=1920#imgrc=oFAc6uPZU0cNJM

its tower type, i will upgrade the psu in perspective of gpu (please suggest).

i have 9 or 9.5 inches of space available for a graphics card,

can my motherboard support more faster(frequency) ram?

khayyamyaqoob

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
This will depend a lot on your monitor's resolution and refresh rate, too. There is no "right GPU to pair with a specific CPU" formula.

Even on the same PC, one game might be held back by the CPU, and another game is easier on the CPU, but held back by the GPU.

monitor is old too, highest resolution is 1920 x 1080 with refresh rate of 60hz

i will upgrade, please suggest.

I've done a bit of digging and it looks like you should be able to use any standard ATX power supply with that motherboard (worth checking as some Dell machines use a custom connector on the motherboard and thus need an adaptor cable, doesn't look like you need to for that machine which is good).

Here is the article I found:
https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...ions-for-Optiplex-990-Mini-Tower/td-p/3706645

I would suggest looking for a reasonable quality 500W psu, something with at least 80+ bronze certification. The Corsair CX supplies are a good option that don't cost a fortune so say a Corsair CX 500 or CX 600 unit would work well (these aren't the highest quality supply however I think it's a sensible option given the age of the machine).

Graphics card wise, the case looks to support full height cards and has at least two slots worth of space so you have plenty of options... I would suggest something like an AMD RX 570 might be a good choice as those can be had for a good price these days and would be good for 1080p, 60hz gaming (the newer RX 5500 series also worth a look, they perform similar and use less power but are often more expensive).

If you prefer nVidia, something like the GTX 1650 Super would be a good choice, or look out for a cheap deal on a last gen GTX 1060.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would suggest looking for a reasonable quality 500W psu, something with at least 80+ bronze certification. The Corsair CX supplies are a good option that don't cost a fortune so say a Corsair CX 500 or CX 600 unit would work well (these aren't the highest quality supply however I think it's a sensible option given the age of the machine).

Graphics card wise, the case looks to support full height cards and has at least two slots worth of space so you have plenty of options... I would suggest something like an AMD RX 570 might be a good choice as those can be had for a good price these days and would be good for 1080p, 60hz gaming (the newer RX 5500 series also worth a look, they perform similar and use less power but are often more expensive).

If you prefer nVidia, something like the GTX 1650 Super would be a good choice, or look out for a cheap deal on a last gen GTX 1060.

That would be great if his machine can take a standard ATX power supply.

That said, I do believe that the Corsair CX models that end in "00" are the older, green label models, which are to be avoided (not sure if any ending in "50" are also green label). Ideally, when getting a CX, do the lookup using PCPartPicker and make sure that they're designated as CX (2017). Note that CXM is different, and will probably be labeled 2015.

With a 2017 CX, let's say you even consider an RX 580 - a 185W card. I'd suggest at least a 550W PSU. If you were going with, say, a Corsair TX or RM, or with a Seasonic Focus or Prime, it's likely you could get away with even a 450W. Also, while the RX 580 is a great card for 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, the lower prices of the slightly lesser performing RX 570 usually make the RX 570 a much better card in terms of price-to-performance ratio.

Now for the potential problem - I know that some Dell models from the Sandy Bridge era simply WILL NOT WORK with AMD's RX cards (and quite a number of R9 cards), due to the use of legacy BIOS, and AMD's newer cards not supporting VESA Mode 103, which the old BIOSes with the old-DOS style look require. For example, I know my old Dell XPS 8300 (Sandy Bridge era Intel CPU) would not work with my R9 285, but my Dell XPS 8700 (Haswell era Intel CPU) does work with it. I have seen on the forums that the 10-series Nvidia cards will work with that old XPS 8300.

I do NOT KNOW for certain if OP's Optiplex (Sandy Bridge CPU) falls into this category or not. This will require some searching of Dell's forums to see if other people have had experience using one of the newer cards on the same Optiplex model.

If it is a problem, though, then you might have to stick to, say, a GTX 1050Ti, or GTX 1060 (preferably 6GB, not the 3GB version).

khayyamyaqoob

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Corsair CX 500 or CX 600 unit
AMD RX 570
RX 5500 series
GTX 1650 Super
GTX 1060.

[/QUOTE]

thanks

what about rx 580 and gtx 1070?

can my motherboard support more faster ram than 1333mhz?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
i will try to get my hands on ATX psu.

550w psu, gtx 1060 6GB. 8 GB ram, will there be a bottle neck

Throw the term "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary, it's a misused term, and not something to worry about.

That combination will be good. Just stick with the Corsair CX (2017) at 550W or above, or the Corsair TX, TXm, RM, or RMx, or a Seasonic Focus or Prime at 450W or higher, and you should be fine.

Throw the term "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary, it's a misused term, and not something to worry about.

That combination will be good. Just stick with the Corsair CX (2017) at 550W or above, or the Corsair TX, TXm, RM, or RMx, or a Seasonic Focus or Prime at 450W or higher, and you should be fine.

Agreed - people get overly hung up on 'bottleneck' - all that means is 'limiting factor' in terms of performance and to be clear all machines will have this it's just a question about what limits the max fps you can get.

Heck, even an old monitor can be a limit these days (well at least if you are annoyed by things like screen tearing). The key is to get sensibly matched components - your cpu + a 1060 6bg is a sensible combination.

khayyamyaqoob

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Agreed - people get overly hung up on 'bottleneck' - all that means is 'limiting factor' in terms of performance and to be clear all machines will have this it's just a question about what limits the max fps you can get.

Heck, even an old monitor can be a limit these days (well at least if you are annoyed by things like screen tearing). The key is to get sensibly matched components - your cpu + a 1060 6bg is a sensible combination.
I am into gtx 1060 but when cheked the market for used items, it seems rx 580 8gb is cheaper than gtx 1060 6gb, and if i am not wrong 580 is 256 bit and gtx 1060 is 192 bit interface, pci 2.0 of my board will support it? Kinda lost here!

I am into gtx 1060 but when cheked the market for used items, it seems rx 580 8gb is cheaper than gtx 1060 6gb, and if i am not wrong 580 is 256 bit and gtx 1060 is 192 bit interface, pci 2.0 of my board will support it? Kinda lost here!

The PCIe slot is fine... where there can be an issue is that many AMD cards will only work with a UEFI bios (i.e. your bios screen has a graphical interface rather than the old text based bios used in Legacy mode).

I've had a look at the Optiplex 990 does support UEFI bios (that age of your machine is just when UEFI started to come in). I would suggest you make sure your bios is updated to the latest version, you may also need to go into the bios and switch it to UEFI mode if it's not already.

Provided you do both of those you should then be fine to install a 580. The 8gb 580 is typically a bit faster than the 6gb 1060 these days so a good option imo.

Edit: Link to the bios download for OptiPlex 990:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...d=c10t9&oscode=biosa&productcode=optiplex-990

Make sure you read the notes at the end, you need to check which version you are currently on first as according to the notes you may need to update the bios in stages depending on what you currently have (e.g. if you have a version older than 'A10' you have to upgrade to that first before you can install the latest).

Last edited:
Optiplex 990 does support UEFI bios

bios download for OptiPlex 990:

i have upgraded the bios to latest A24 version.

i am adding a link for you to tell me that by "UEFI support" you mean boot options? And i have to change it from legacy to UEFI?
https://www.google.com.pk/search?q=...ECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=947#imgrc=Su_gfBM_PPaEWM

i have exact same "Boot list options" for my system as illustrated in the link.

Yes change the boot option to UEFI and also that is a UEFI bios screen as it's got a gui (even if it does look like windows 3.1)....

Edit: link to an example of a legacy bios screen (for some reason Toms fourm won't post this as a picture)
https://www.google.com.pk/imgres?imgurl=https://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=251&image=abit_aw8_bios11_med&imgrefurl=https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-Legacy-BIOS-EOL-2020&tbnid=Iav5KSDihAp9aM&vet=12ahUKEwjlxva79dPoAhUHNhoKHUj1C9IQMygCegUIARCKAg..i&docid=6TQpvPV4yFj8qM&w=650&h=487&q=Legacy bios&ved=2ahUKEwjlxva79dPoAhUHNhoKHUj1C9IQMygCegUIARCKAg

Solution