[SOLVED] Which gpu should I get

Sep 30, 2019
So I have a
CPU: i5-4460
RAM: 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
MOTHERBOARD: h81m-c/br
Power Supplier: a generic one 500w
GPU: GTX 960 SSC 2Gb

I'm thinking about upgrading my gpu since my cpu is good (I guess), but i'm struggling to find one
In my mind i want the msi gtx 1660 gaming x 6gb (cause it's beatiful and quiet), but I don't know if it's worth the price and if my power supplier will be enough.

So the thing is
Which GPU should I get and which power supplier

In my mind i have the corsair vs500 and the gtx 1660 msi gaming x 6gb

Also, win my motherboard support the 1660?
I couldn't found that.

THANKS!

Solution
Well, if you're planning on upgrading to a 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, then, the GTX 1660 will be good.

However, if you're not going to get the monitor for, say, over a year, then the RX 570 would be good for your current resolution and refresh rate. I don't know about the prices where you are, but in the US, the RX 570 is generally inexpensive, and is VERY good in terms of price/performance . I don't know what the pricing is like in Brazil, though.

Then, when you're ready to buy the monitor, another generation of cards may be out, or the existing 1660 might be cheaper at that point, etc.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
New GPU has the same power requirements as the old one. So if it has been working up until this point, the only reason to change it would be concerns over its age.

Yes, the motherboard will support pretty much any PCIe expansion card on the market.

The Corsair VS series is considered a budget product. Wouldn't be my first choice if you are investing in a new one. HX, TX, RMx, AX from Corsair are the more reputable ones. EVGA B2/B3 G2/G3, Most Seasonic products.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
First, yeah, you'll need a good PSU. Check the link at the end of my sig.

Second, before choosing a GPU, consider what your monitor is capable of:
  • What is the resolution?
  • What is the refresh rate?
  • Does it have GSync, FreeSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?

Those are important to know before any GPU choice can be made.

Sep 30, 2019
So, my monitor is 1600x900, 60hz and i'm thinking about upgrading it later.

About the PSU, it aws recommended to me the Seasonic Silent 520W S12II 80 Plus Bronze.

The thing is that, here in brazil things are quite expensive, so it takes some time for you to upgrade or build a computer

The PSU + my specs are enough to support the gtx ?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, if you're planning on upgrading to a 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, then, the GTX 1660 will be good.

However, if you're not going to get the monitor for, say, over a year, then the RX 570 would be good for your current resolution and refresh rate. I don't know about the prices where you are, but in the US, the RX 570 is generally inexpensive, and is VERY good in terms of price/performance . I don't know what the pricing is like in Brazil, though.

Then, when you're ready to buy the monitor, another generation of cards may be out, or the existing 1660 might be cheaper at that point, etc.

Solution