Which GPU would go well with this setup?

Jesusoulz

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Hello, community!

This is my first post here. I've been reading this forum for months and I think it's a great community, but I had never gotten around to creating an account. Until today.

So, without further ado, I'd like to know what GPU you think would go best with this setup I just bought. I'm on a tight budget, so I went for the following:

CPU: AMD FX-6300
MOBO: MSI 970A-G43
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 2x4GB
PSU: Rosewill Glacier-500M
SSD: OCZ Arc 100 480GB

I originally planned to buy a GeForce GTX 750 Ti, more specifically this one from Zotac, since it's got very good reviews.

A bit of information about what I plan to do with the PC: I'll do image and video editing with Adobe software (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator and so on) and play games on 1080p, though I don't mind having to tune down the settings in order to get good framerates.

Lastly, since my budget is tight, I'm trying to stay in the $100-200 range for this purchase.

So, which GPU do you guys think would be best for me?

Thanks!

Solution
most 950s draw around or under 75W so no worries even with a 1080. in your case I would spring for a 970 or 1060 and then upgrade the CPU as a 970 is cheap, perfect for 1080p, and once you have a better CPU will last for a long time.
well with that price range and CPU, the 960 is a decent idea, it is selling pretty cheap right now, I have seen some for $150.
also an R9 380 is a good idea as well, although you will want to OC your CPU to fully keep up with both of the mentioned cards. a 750Ti will work very well, but even a 950 might be a good idea, as it will give you slightly more performance without costing much more.

Jesusoulz

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016

Thanks, Robert!

In order to OC my CPU, would you recommend that I get a cooler for it? Other than the stock one that comes with it, that is.

Also, is there any brand that you think is better as far as the 960 goes?

you would want something cheap but better than your stock cooler, the hyper 212 evo is a great idea if t fits in your case ( just make sure first) also make sure your motherboard can support OC. frankly I would just get the cheapest non sketchy 960 Unless you want to push wild overclocks. EVGA has some nice cards on sale right now.

Jesusoulz

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Okay, I'll measure my space, because that cooler is indeed tall, but has very good reputation.

However, I think OCing is a no-go on the MOBO I got, since I found out after some reading that it's known to run hot and burn the VRM when OCing.

Do you think it would be a good approach to get either a 950 or a 750 Ti and run stock clocks and then after a while when I upgrade go for a better MOBO and a 970 or even a 1060?

Also, I forgot to ask about my PSU. 500W should be enough to power this setup even with a 950 onboard, right?

Thanks again!

most 950s draw around or under 75W so no worries even with a 1080. in your case I would spring for a 970 or 1060 and then upgrade the CPU as a 970 is cheap, perfect for 1080p, and once you have a better CPU will last for a long time.

Solution

Jesusoulz

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Gotcha. Yeah, there are some 1060s going for $200, so I think I might just go for that and then upgrade my CPU and MOBO later down the road when the bottleneck really starts to show.

Thanks a lot, Robert!