Question Which graphic card should I purchase?

captainjoey

Commendable
May 22, 2018
My budget for the GPU will be maximum of $1,400. My original plan was to get the 2080ti, however I don't know if that's the right choice that will last me down the line. Also, my original plan for the cpu was the i9 9900k however, with the recent news of amd, I'm thinking about getting the Ryzen 9 3900x instead. Should I wait for the 5000 series of radeon to come out, get the rtx 2080ti or purchase a different gpu that haven't listed? Let me know your thoughts.

captainjoey

Commendable
May 22, 2018
I suggest you WAIT and see what NAVI 5000 GPUs, and AMD's Ryzen ZEN 2 CPUs have to offer. They are just around the corner, and might also offer better price/performance as well.

What are your current system specs, btw ?
It's gonna be a huge upgrade either card I choose. My current setup is:
CPU: i5-6500
GPU: GTX 960 4GB
RAM: 32GB
PSU: 600w

Yes, please change/upgrade that EVGA White 80 plus unit. This is not a very high-end PSU. Just a budget entry-level PSU from EVGA. I think the OEM is HEC for this particular unit, if I'm not mistaken. Grab yourself some other high quality PSU when you upgrade your GPU.

Btw, your current CPU model, the i5-6500 might also create some bottleneck when paired with any high-end GPU like the RTX 2080 Ti, holding the card back, IMO. But, this will also depend on the game being though, not in all cases, so this isn't much of a concern right now.

captainjoey

Commendable
May 22, 2018
Yes, please change/upgrade that EVGA White 80 plus unit. This is not a very high-end PSU. Just a budget entry-level PSU from EVGA. I think the OEM is HEC for this particular unit, if I'm not mistaken. Grab yourself some other high quality PSU when you upgrade your GPU.

Btw, your current CPU model, the i5-6500 might also create some bottleneck when paired with any high-end GPU like the RTX 2080 Ti, holding the card back, IMO. But, this will also depend on the game being though, not in all cases, so this isn't much of a concern right now.
Thanks for all recommendations and information!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
It's gonna be a huge upgrade either card I choose. My current setup is:
CPU: i5-6500
GPU: GTX 960 4GB
RAM: 32GB
PSU: 600w

Seems like a huge upgrade for a fairly recent CPU. Your current CPU should be able to handle a much faster video card than your 960, going to a high end card and an i9 is a bit much I think. You will see a huge boost in speed even with a $200-300 video card, RX 580, nVidia 2060, 1660 Ti, 2070.

Unless your plans are to run a 4k monitor or a 1440 at 144hz, you don't need a top of the line setup.

Buying higher end PC parts seems like buying a Mercedes, you get nice fancy car with a lot of drawbacks like high cost, drop in price, new cars being faster and better quickly, not being 4 times as good as cars 4 times cheaper. Better off buying 3 $30,000 cars new every 2 or 3 years than one $90,000 car and driving it for 10 years.

May 30, 2019
Seems like a huge upgrade for a fairly recent CPU. Your current CPU should be able to handle a much faster video card than your 960, going to a high end card and an i9 is a bit much I think. You will see a huge boost in speed even with a $200-300 video card, RX 580, nVidia 2060, 1660 Ti, 2070.

Unless your plans are to run a 4k monitor or a 1440 at 144hz, you don't need a top of the line setup.

Buying higher end PC parts seems like buying a Mercedes, you get nice fancy car with a lot of drawbacks like high cost, drop in price, new cars being faster and better quickly, not being 4 times as good as cars 4 times cheaper. Better off buying 3 $30,000 cars new every 2 or 3 years than one $90,000 car and driving it for 10 years.

This is off topic from his thread but I am going to ask anyway.
Does the 2070 still suffer from artifact / dying issues or has that been mostly resolved?